Greetings from a new mantid parent

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobbyClouser

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm brand new to keeping mantids. I "adopted" my first pair about 3 weeks ago. A friend from work, well, his wife came across a female Chinese mantis in her yard late last fall. She brought it inside and it promptly created an ootheca. I thought they were going to let it over-winter, but instead they kept it warm. It hatched about Jan 20. Only 2 survived. They weren't really into raising them, so I adopted them. I got them when they were L2s. I think one's a female (larger) and the other is a male. So far, they're doing just fine. The female molted a few days ago, so she's L3, and the male is molting now. I never thought I would get into keeping mantids as pets. In my whole life, I've only seen a wild mantis once or twice! Now I'm learning there are all kinds of beautiful mantids to have as pets.

I'm 55, work in software development and QA. Living in Massachusetts, in winter, I'm still learning how to keep them warm and not too dry. I love all animals -- we have 3 dogs and 2 cats now, and we had more in the past. I'm also into astronomy, model railroading, metal detecting, fossil hunting, and lots of other stuff. Not enough time in the day.

I look forward to learning more from this forum. 

Bob

IMG_4130.JPG

Welcome to the forum! You have a beautiful mantis, I hope they both make it to adulthood! Btw, L2/L3 is too early to tell sex. What are you feeding them? What do their containers look like? Just trying to make sure that your mantids have a good setup!

- MantisGirl13

I'll post some pictures soon. Right now I'm feeding them fruit flies (D. melanogaster). I ordered some of the bigger ones too (D. hydei).

bob

Uh oh, someone's got Mantis fever! 😂 Don't worry, while there is no cure you are always welcome to stay quarantined here with us! 

Mantids are awesome pets; super fun and rewarding. Good luck with your little cuties and keep us posted on their progress ❤️ 

Welcome :)

You can see what gender they are when they are L4. They are too small at the moment. I hope your mantids will make it to adulthood.

Don't worry, while there is no cure you are always welcome to stay quarantined here with us! 
I don't want to be cured🤣

Well, unfortunately, the smaller L2 mantis I had did not molt correctly and died. How often does this happen?

Bob

Sorry for the loss. 😢

How did it mismolt? Sometimes they just fall mid molt, if they dont have a suitable molting surface. They need lots to drink.

When molts are coming up, be especially certain to mist water onto the mesh/tulle and sides of the enclosure. They need to be hydrated inside. Let em drink. Water ON them won't help. As they get older, I feed a serving of a wet feeder, like waxworm, days before I anticipate a molt.

Also, ensure perches are high enough that they dont bottom out when hanging. Tons of YouTube vids to see. 

Others may have suggestions as well. Im fully engaged in this, but I have months. Others have years. 😉

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry that you lost the little guy! Hysteresis is right on when he says that you should mist, especially before a molt. Also, make sure they have a good surface to grip or they will fall much easier. 

- MantisGirl13

Thanks for everyone's condolences. Right now, I'm having trouble keeping the temperature up. I have a 5-gallon aquarium, and inside that I have the mantis in a plastic jar with some eco earth and branches, about the recommended size or larger. I have a heat lamp that keeps the whole tank warm, 75F, but also produces lots of light. 

I bought one of those reptile heating pads and put it on the side. 8 watts. It just doesn't seem to do the job. Does anybody have any suggestions? I thought about partitioning the tank, but the heat source is my question. Those reptile pads just don't seem to cut it! Unless I need some big 20watt one.

Thanks in advance,

Bob

Thanks for that info. How do you mount it? DO you use one of those domes? What wattage?

Thanks,

Bob

Thanks for that info. How do you mount it? DO you use one of those domes? What wattage?

Thanks,

Bob
One of these:

https://www.amazon.com/OMAYKEY-Reptile-Fixture-Holder-Clamp/dp/B07M96LZ41/ref=sr_1_fkmrnull_1_sspa?keywords=OMAYKEY+Reptile+Lamp+Fixture+Holder+Clamp&qid=1551667305&s=gateway&sr=8-1-fkmrnull-spons&psc=1

I have a shelf, sooo. No domes. They wash over well.

Well enough, That i'm splitting one out to another shelf.

20190303_205943.jpg

Hi everyone,

I'm sorry to report that my other Chinese mantis mismolted. I found him/her hanging upside down from the mesh on the lid of the container. That's 2 I've lost. I'm feeling sadder than I expected. I was thinking of ordering some ghosts, and maybe another good starter mantis, like budwing or sphodromantis, but now I worry that I'm doing something wrong. I've learned so much so far though, and I think I know I can do better. I've had this mantis for almost 2 months. I think I could ventilate their containers better.

Any thoughts? I guess I really got attached. And it sucks to feel responsible for their death.

I just need to mourn!

Bob

Latest posts