Greetings

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blind_angel16

Reaction score
Hi there. I'm Jordan, a teen from a small town in Iowa who just last week found something I was searching for all summer: a mantis. I had experience with mantids before, albeit not very much experience. A year ago I had two mantids, a brown mantis and a green mantis, both of the species Tenodera sinensis. One morning, I woke up to find only the green mantis in my cage. That wasn't the only tragedy to befall the mantids I had. Later, the green mantis who had eaten the brown suffered an injury while molting, permanently disfiguring its back legs. I decided to release it into the wild, since it was entirely my fault for the damage of each mantis.

A year later, I wanted a second chance at taking care of a mantis. I searched almost everyday. We live on a farm, so we had areas where grass and trees grew extremely tall; but even so, there was no sign of a mantis. It was early in the summer, so I thought maybe they weren't out yet. However, with fall coming sooner and sooner, I thought I'd never find one before school starts.

Last Thursday, I was helping my grandfather pull out some small trees out of the ditch in front of our house with the family tractor. In the last tree we pulled, I looked down and saw what I searched for all summer; I found a mantis. The first thought that went through my mind was, I'm not going to let it get away this time. Not today. I completely forgot about the tractor and my grandfather and chased after the mantis, hearing my grandfather on his tractor shouting behind me. I finally caught it and got it inside, and my sister put it inside of a jar I prepared in case I found a mantis. I went back to complete my work, with my grandpa bombarding me with questions about what I was going after and if I put it inside (a note to the reader: my grandfather does not like having creatures inside the house. It's surprising enough that he let us have three cats in our house, and I didn't know what he would say if I brought an insect inside). The mantis I found was the same species as the two I had before, a Tenodera sinensis, and I named her after Nikiesha, a very good friend of mine, but cut the name down to Niki. The picture with this Topic is one I took of her today.

TL;DR version: Name's Jordan. Had two mantids, but they died/were released. Found a new mantis the next year. Named her Niki. End.

Anyway, that's how I got my mantis. I'm still new at raising mantids, but I hope I will learn new things from people here at Mantid Forum and use what I learn to take care of my new pet and friend, Niki.

Edit: It turns out although I thought I was raising European Mantids, or Mantis religiosa, my mantids were in fact Chinese mantids, otherwise known as Tenodera sinensis. A big thank you to mantidsaresweet for letting me know. :D

Niki.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Jordan, first of all welcome to the forum from another teen. This place is great if you are interested in mantids.

Secondly that was a great story and I'm glad you were able to find one. I hope your grandpa lets you keep her.

And lastly, I believe that mantis in the picture is one of Tenodera sinensis (Chinese mantis) not Mantis religiosa. The green strip along it's wing is a dead give away for a chinese mantis. Also a T. sinensis is much larger (4 inches or more) than the M. religiosa (around 2 inches). Either way its a great find.

Glad to have you here.

Welcome to the Forum, Jordan! That's a great story. I hope that Nikiesha is appropriately impressed. You certainly didn't need the TL;DR ("too long;don't read" says Sunny, reading over my shoulder) version. :D

Since this so well written and because you use absolutely correct form in italicizing the binomial (shows me up, dunnit?), I'll mention that the genus name always takes a capitalized initial letter, so welcome, too, Niki, Mantis religiosa !

Edit: The older I get, the slower i get. When I saw your siggy, I was thinking in my old, slow way, of Gabriel Jackson's "Not no faceless angel", but am I right in thinking that it is really based on "Color blind angel" by the late, great Robin Rogers? If not, break it to me gently! :rolleyes:

Hello Jordan, first of all welcome to the forum from another teen. This place is great if you are interested in mantids.

Secondly that was a great story and I'm glad you were able to find one. I hope your grandpa lets you keep her.

And lastly, I believe that mantis in the picture is one of Tenodera sinensis (Chinese mantis) not Mantis religiosa. The green strip along it's wing is a dead give away for a chinese mantis. Also a T. sinensis is much larger (4 inches or more) than the M. religiosa (around 2 inches). Either way its a great find.

Glad to have you here.
Wow, you're right. I don't know my mantids very well. I'll change that immediately. Thanks for the welcome. My grandpa let me keep her, but he's still hesitant about it. He thought she was a katydid at first and sometimes calls her that as a joke, and keeps telling me I should release her, but he's still letting me keep Niki, so that's good, right?

Welcome to the Forum, Jordan! That's a great story. I hope that Nikiesha is appropriately impressed. You certainly didn't need the TL;DR ("too long;don't read" says Sunny, reading over my shoulder) version. :D

Since this so well written and because you use absolutely correct form in italicizing the binomial (shows me up, dunnit?), I'll mention that the genus name always takes a capitalized initial letter, so welcome, too, Niki, Mantis religiosa !

Edit: The older I get, the slower i get. When I saw your siggy, I was thinking in my old, slow way, of Gabriel Jackson's "Not no faceless angel", but am I right in thinking that it is really based on "Color blind angel" by the late, great Robin Rogers? If not, break it to me gently! :rolleyes:
I haven't told Nikiesha yet, but I plan to soon. I wonder what she'll think of her? Thanks for letting me know about the capitalization error. I was mulling over that for quite a while. :lol: Sorry to say it, but my username doesn't have to do with either song. It's a rather long story about myself becoming a Christian. I've used that username for practically everything since then.

Hello and welcome, your story was good. tks and hope gramps is hard of seeing! :tt2:
Thank you for the welcome. I decided to move Niki from our cold basement downstairs to my computer room/hallway; I'd have to do it this winter anyway. My grandpa's 72, but he's in great condition for his age, so he'd notice I brought her upstairs. He doesn't like technology much and never uses the computer though, so I think Niki's safe from detection for a while. :lol:

Welcome to the forum Jordan! :)
Thanks for welcoming me to the forum. :)

Great story and welcome! My sympathies on the 'drop everything to chase an insect'. I have a Tenodera sinensis too, although I had to buy mine. Well over an hours' bus ride each way in the rain. I've never seen one wild. I've only had Tweeg a day, so I can't really offer any helpful advice.

@Hibiscusmile:

Thank you for the welcome. I decided to move Niki from our cold basement downstairs to my computer room/hallway; I'd have to do it this winter anyway. My grandpa's 72, but he's in great condition for his age, so he'd notice I brought her upstairs. He doesn't like technology much and never uses the computer though, so I think Niki's safe from detection for a while. :lol:

@Ryan.M:

Thanks for welcoming me to the forum. :)
Yeah, most old farts are pretty much past it when they get to that age. Time for the freezer (or brick), I say! :D :lol: :p

Great story and welcome! My sympathies on the 'drop everything to chase an insect'. I have a Tenodera sinensis too, although I had to buy mine. Well over an hours' bus ride each way in the rain. I've never seen one wild. I've only had Tweeg a day, so I can't really offer any helpful advice.
I guess that makes us both new to raising a Tenodera sinensis. I hope we can both help each other to take care of and raise Niki and Tweeg the best that we can. :D Oh yeah, I also found two more mantids the same day I found Niki. She was the first one I saw, though, and I thought at the moment one was enough (until my grandparents and mom get used to Niki, at least), so I didn't catch them.

Yeah, most old farts are pretty much past it when they get to that age. Time for the freezer (or brick), I say! :D :lol: :p
Maybe most, but not him! :p

Q. was the lady friend impressed? if yes, she's a keeper ;)
No reply yet. But I hope Nikiesha will like Niki. :D

Edit: She said: "Eh, I've never really been that big of a fan of bugs. But I must admit the Praying Mantises are extremely interesting. :) I like the name. ;) "

Latest posts