Greetings

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, I'm Jay from Wisconsin. I used to keep Carolina and Chinese mantids as a kid but haven't had any for years. I figured it would be fun to pick up the hobby again so I'm looking into getting some of the easier tropical mantids before I try my hand at the harder ones.

Really curious how you guys heat your enclosures.

Hello Jay and welcome to the hobby and forum
welcome6.gif

Most mantises only require room temperatures so no heating is needed, and will only shorten the mantises lifespans as it speeds up their metabolism. If you get the more difficult/experience required species then desk lamps, tiny reptile heat pads, and such are used.

Have a look at the dedicated caresheets for the species to see temperature requirements.

Thanks for the welcome! Good to know that the reptile heating pads can work. I had intended to get oxypilus distinctus but the seller has no more, ah well. Maybe another kind.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the welcome! Good to know that the reptile heating pads can work. I had intended to get oxypilus distinctus but the seller has no more, ah well. Maybe another kind.
Your welcome. A nice little boxer species, did you contact Rebecca at MantisPlace? It's on her catalog but says asks for delivery date. Also you could post a WTB (wanted to buy) ad in the classifieds section here on the forum, perhaps someone has some they would sell. :D

Or if your looking for another species try the classifieds section here on the forum, MantisPlace, and BugsInCyberSpace. Best of luck finding a pet and let us know what you get. ;)

Your welcome. A nice little boxer species, did you contact Rebecca at MantisPlace? It's on her catalog but says asks for delivery date.
She was the one. Too bad, I very much liked the look of that species. She says she will send me creos instead; was not wanting something highly cannibalistic to start with but oh well, they are pretty and I would probably have wound up with some later anyway.

Thanks for the warm welcome, guys. :)

She was the one. Too bad, I very much liked the look of that species. She says she will send me creos instead; was not wanting something highly cannibalistic to start with but oh well, they are pretty and I would probably have wound up with some later anyway.

Thanks for the warm welcome, guys. :)
Well at least you knew where to go look. ;) Don't worry you can always get them later on, and turn into a mantis collector like so many here - I'm still in denial. :D

Here is the care sheet for Creo's. Even though it is no Boxer, it is a small mantis and should make a wonderful pet.
thumbs-up2.gif