Greetings

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kris Anderson

Reaction score
Greetings!

I am a Cornell University Department of Entomology alumnus.  I was a student curator of the Cornell University Insect Collection for two years as well as a teaching assistant for a field collecting lab.  I have experience with most orders of Insecta but specialize in Mantodea taxonomy, biodiversity, and ethology. I began a dissertation concerning the identification of Nearctic Mantodea many years ago.  This project was shelved and recently renewed for a more comprehensive treatment.  The treatise now focuses upon the praying mantises of the United States and Canada, which is projected to be finished by fall 2017.  The aim of the project is to bridge the gap between academic/professional entomologists and hobbyists/amateur collectors regarding Mantodea science.

We are currently accepting collection and rearing data for all Nearctic mantises to be collated and integrated into the comprehensive study.  If you have any data that you might find useful, feel free to contact me for discussion.  Dead specimens are always welcome to broaden our base of vouchers.  Likewise, I am available for any inquiries concerning mantis identification (primarily Nearctic at this point).  I also have experience with breeding and rearing several species in the laboratory setting.

Lastly, this project is anticipated to envelope additional regions throughout the western hemisphere once the Nearctic volume is finalized so mantis data from other parts of the world will need to be gathered as well.  

I'm glad to have found this site... there appears to be a lot of useful information here and I look forward to data exchange!

Kris 

FullSizeRender(1).jpg

... harvesting collection data and photographs of Wuhan University insect collection (Mantodea section), Wuhan CHINA, Apr 2016

Hello Kris and welcome to the forum
welcome.gif

For the collection and rearing data of Nearctic mantises you are best off starting a new topic in the General Mantid Discussions section. Providing basic information such as important data types wanted (temperatures, locations (GPS perhaps), RH% humidity, and other points), perhaps in a example form. Many of us keep logs of our pets (along with many photos usually), and some members are rather extensive in their logs, so if we had a idea what/how you want it submitted the better. ;)

For dead specimens place a ad in the Mantids For Sale/Wanted section to get everyone's attention, and what particular species you need (or do not need). As I imagine you have your fill already with the more common Stagmomantis carolina and Tenodera sinensis species.

Welcome. Research into the Mantodea seems to have expanded greatly in recent years. 

Thank you, sir.  I have submitted both posts.  
Your welcome, and glad to see you did. :)

I'll have to pour over my logs and group the individual data together, so I can submit it to you, after the holidays. ;) A peek at your post and I have four species in my logs your be interested in, and dozens of specimens from those I can submit with photos through out too (adults/ooths/nymphs/mating and other data).

I do not though have any dead specimens, as from your other post, as I bury my mantids like any pet (silly or not).

Your welcome, and glad to see you did. :)

I'll have to pour over my logs and group the individual data together, so I can submit it to you, after the holidays. ;) A peek at your post and I have four species in my logs your be interested in, and dozens of specimens from those I can submit with photos through out too (adults/ooths/nymphs/mating and other data).

I do not though have any dead specimens, as from your other post, as I bury my mantids like any pet (silly or not).
Excellent! Any data/photos that you have would be useful I'm sure. I figured that most breeders and hobbyists would either retain their dead pets or bury them like you do but maybe there's a few out there that need to find a new home (crypt).  I keep all of my deceased mantises as well.  

Merry Christmas!

Excellent! Any data/photos that you have would be useful I'm sure. I figured that most breeders and hobbyists would either retain their dead pets or bury them like you do but maybe there's a few out there that need to find a new home (crypt).  I keep all of my deceased mantises as well.  

Merry Christmas!
Alright great, I will get it all sorted through and ready to submit when I can. ;) Yeah it is strange, half bury their dead mantids and the other half preserve them as specimens. Seems there is no middle ground there, all in for preserving specimens or burying. Interesting enough I have seen some other memorial/preserving methods on the forum too, here is one.

Merry Christmas to you as well. :)

Latest posts