Grizzled mantis

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mystymantis

Reaction score
Are there any particular care requirements for the grizzled mantis (Gonatista grisea)? Are they hard or easy to keep? I do not have them but was thinking of perhaps getting some at some point. Are they easy to breed?  Has anyone here had them before?

Also I was wondering, since the grizzled mantis lives in the States, has anyone had any success in finding them in the wild? If so what are some tips to find them? They live on trees right?

They were very hard for me at L1... suffered a lot of losses. But from there on they are a lot easier... idk about easy, but easier. Breeding is the easiest part, they are communal. The ooths take around 2 months to hatch and will hatch a decent amount 20-40. They are in Florida and are found on the bark on trees

Thanks so much @Connor for the info. I didn't realize they are communal. Since they live on trees in Florida I thought they were usually far apart.

Are the ooths like tropical mantises? As in they don't need a diapause to get good hatchings or to even hatch and will hatch all year?

They will hatch without a diapause, that’s what I did, but I’ve heard about people giving them diapauses to be healthier

Latest posts