Guess the weight

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[SIZE=14pt]I am thinking 0.50 G as the nymphs dont have much weight.[/SIZE]

Hay Yen what is the wt on a lg nymph L1 vs a small kind of nymph?, can you get there wt's Yen?

Thanks everyone for putting up your guess. Almost spot on for Basist and kamakiri! Great guess guys.... i will PM you guys soon.

Now the new weight for the empty ooth.

hatchedsmooth2.jpg

So the difference was 0.64 - 0.2 = 0.44 g. Considering around 100 nymphs hatched, the weight of each larva inside the ootheca is about 0.004g but would probably gets to about 0.005 g after hatching out. The hatchling of this species is about 5 mm. A rather small species. I am sure larger hatchling like D. dessicata would weight double or tripple of that when hatched.

sml1d.jpg

Now i will go and weight oothecae of other species :D

What fun, Yen! :D Thank you for giving us a little contest to entertain and boost our spirits for the New Year. :) And congratulations to the winners. ;) Interesting finding out about the ooth weight and difference after hatching too!

Glad you like it Becky.

Thought the scale could come be useful to check if a wild collected ooth been hatched before, although most of the time it is obvious.

It is also interesting to know that mantis grow about 200 times its weight from hatchling to adult, depending on the species and gender.

I'm late to the party, but thanks for the fun!

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad you like it Becky.Thought the scale could come be useful to check if a wild collected ooth been hatched before, although most of the time it is obvious.

It is also interesting to know that mantis grow about 200 times its weight from hatchling to adult, depending on the species and gender.
Yen: Everyone here loves and admires you! We understand the real reason why you keep a gram scale, but we ain't talking! :D