gut loading vs. dusting

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JT

Reaction score
i know some of you guys use bee pollen to dust your feeders before you give them to your mantids, especially your flower mantids, wouldn't it have the same effect to just use the bee pollen as a gut load? i ask because i get really frustrated using flies as feeders. especially when you try to dust them with pollen. seems like they knock it all off before the mantis catches it anyway.

SOOOO, when i was done with the leftover pollen i threw it in my lobster roach tank and they went NUTS over it ate it all in a minute or less, and since i use lobsters for feeders... see where i'm going with this??

Yes not only mantis consumes pollen, other insects too.

I didn't use roach because of mites issue and my wife hated both (mites and roaches). Pollen can be easily shaken off from flies but i found out that if you include honey powder into pollen, the mixture became more sticky and harder for flies to shake it off.

ahhh, i see . thanks Yen. can you get said honey powder at a health food store? my Dad owns one :D

Oh, if he has any, let me know. The only place I found honey powder is eBay and shipping kind of kills the deal.

ok, i'm in ohio but i'll see what i can do. i'll pm you once i get a price on the honey powder and shipping.

http://www.mantidforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=39999#39999

IMG_2043.JPG