Haania sp. (Moss Mantis)

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Incredible! I love the habitat you set up, what I could see of it. Good luck with these :)
Thanks. Details below...

Can you post pics of the vivarium you have set up for them? I would love to know how you grow such nice moss...
I initially had a larger enclosure prepared but when I found out I was only getting a single pair I decided to try out a modified 80 oz cup. It's a pain but I like to cut a big window on each side of my large cups and glue in fine screen. It's especially important in this instance due to the necessity of high humidity. I also cover the entire underside of the lid with screen to expand the area they can hang from as well as allowing for better gripping.

IMG_4958-sm.jpg

First there is a substrate of Zoo Med Eco Earth that I try to keep moist at all times. (I'd just added water before taking this photo which is why it looks too wet.) The cup itself sits on layers of paper towel on top of an Exo Terra Heatwave Rainforest substrate heater. It only adds a little heat (holding at 78-85) but it's enough to keep a steady humidity of 75-85 even with the cross breeze from the large windows. I've learned from experience that it's very easy to grow mold in small-medium enclosures with high humidity unless you allow for ample venting. Even then mold can form which is why I added springtails to the substrate. Springtails help to control mold, or so I believe. Anyone know for sure?

Over the substrate is a layer of live sheet moss I picked up at a reptile show. Then there is a piece of cork bark and two T-Rex Terra Accents Lichen Sticks. And that's it other than the temp/humidity guage.

IMG_4962-sm.jpg

This is plenty of space for them. You can see the female in the moss munching a Hydei and the male on a lichen stick. Both molted once so far and in both cases they hung from the underside of a lichen stick. They work really well because there's so much to grip. I'm really happy I found them at the pet store. As they mature I may secure lichen sticks to the underside of the lid to encourage them to molt from a higher perch if needed.

So there you have it. Nothing too extravagant or glamorous but it does the trick. I keep a square of moss on paper tower and extra lichen sticks to use for the videos. That allows me to rotate the 'stage' as needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
what a beautiful species. Pictures are spectacular. Good Luck and keep us all posted on their progress!

Not to get too far ahead of ourselves, but if you are successful please only sell these to the most experienced breeders. At least until they are established in culture.

(In other words no matter how much money I offer you, don't sell them to me :tt2: )

Not to get too far ahead of ourselves, but if you are successful please only sell these to the most experienced breeders. At least until they are established in culture.

(In other words no matter how much money I offer you, don't sell them to me :tt2: )
Hmmm... I will consider this but I was planning on selling them for a nickle a piece to be used as feeders. :sorcerer:

I figure that's only about half the price of crickets so I'll get a lot of customer$ and make my first million in no time! :euro:

imrich.jpg
daffyduck2.jpg

in all seriousness, these mantids are so beautiful! I really hope they can be bred succesfully!
I have no faith in my own ability to raise such tiny mantids (nor do I have any faith in the Thai postal service, for that matter), and so I have no interest in acquiring any myself, but I hope they can become established in culture so that there might be more photographs and documentation of these little beauties!! Your photos are always such a treat.

Last edited by a moderator:
in all seriousness, these mantids are so beautiful! I really hope they can be bred succesfully!

I have no faith in my own ability to raise such tiny mantids (nor do I have any faith in the Thai postal service, for that matter), and so I have no interest in acquiring any myself, but I hope they can become established in culture so that there might be more photographs and documentation of these little beauties!! Your photos are always such a treat.
Yeah, you may have trouble getting fruit fly cultures. I'm pretty sure the nymphs will be so small they need springtails.

The male molted again. I knew he was getting ready so I kept an eye on him all day but these guys molt so fast I turned my head and he was done! Son of a...

Haaniam_4965-sm.jpg

Haaniam_4968-sm.jpg

Haaniam_4971-sm.jpg

Haaniam_4981-sm.jpg

Haaniam_4979-sm.jpg

Latest posts