Haania sp. (Moss Mantis)

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi.

The species people are dealing here with is very likely Haania confusa Saussure, 1871. The specimens are from W Malaysia and the pictures fit well to what I know from Borneo. I am currently working on a revision of the genus, and it turned out that there are several undescribed species, so there is still some incertainty left to the ID, but I don't think that it will change in this case. As a coincidence, I wrote down my wildlife observations on two other species I did over the past three years; they will soon be published in a German journal.

The setup is wrong. The species live on big tree trunks, so they need vertical and rather flat bark covered by short (!) mosses. If the moss is too long, it precludes proper walking. So the twigs offered are way too thin and the moss on the ground is useless, except to the human eye. Of course one may argue that they are hardy so far so it can't be that bad, but my experiences on place on the Philippines showed me that they are not so easy to take care of. I don't say that you won't succeed, I just wanted to point out that they need more attention than it seems after keeping some nymphs alive for some weeks or months. Adult molts still have to suceed, and copulations to take place, both things that may go wrong if there were unseen problems with nymphal care. Also important is that first instars are about 3,5 mm long and you need a culture of springtails and firebrats to properly feed them - and noone knows yet if they will accept this food.

So, I really hope these few hints may help to bring them into culture. As for now, all that people have are a few wild-caught nymphs that seem to fare well in captivity. It should maybe be noted that populations are scattered in the natural habitat and far too many nymphs were removed by the collector than can be safely advised. If I would collect so many in my place, I would wipe out an entire micropopulation. As disgusted as I may be because of inproper behavior and over-exploitation during collection, the more I hope that people will succeed with the specimens that survived the trip and value them as the rare species they are.

Hi.

The species people are dealing here with is very likely Haania confusa Saussure, 1871. The specimens are from W Malaysia and the pictures fit well to what I know from Borneo...
Thanks for your input!

Yes, I was sure to get a detailed description of their natural environment. They do spend most of their time vertical but I also spoke to someone who was lucky enough to witness more than a few molt and they always seek a horizontal (or nearly horizontal) perch for that. That's what I've witnessed so far as well. The enclosure is more geared toward those dangerous moments. They seem very content in there. They really don't move much.

The moss is mainly to hold humidity without mold growth. In the wild they stay to dryer rocks and trees with only light moss, as you said.

I agree that we're all safer if a species exists in the wild and in culture - just in case. I can't speak for what volume of nymphs have been removed from the wild since I have no direct knowledge, but once they are cultured there will be less necessity for that. I can say for sure that some in captivity have reached adulthood, bred and have laid. So it is absolutely possible. Just a matter of time now till we see how the nymphs fare in captivity.

Henry,

I feel like Dorothy facing the Wizard of Oz when reading your entries and viewing your mantid media. Here I get so excited over rearing the common, backstreet Tenodera sinensis. I feel so pedestrian :mellow: I recently bought a starter camcorder - the Canon Vixia HFR 500 inspired by your terrific vids. You are truly the Wizard of Mantids.

Henry,

I feel like Dorothy facing the Wizard of Oz when reading your entries and viewing your mantid media. Here I get so excited over rearing the common, backstreet Tenodera sinensis. I feel so pedestrian :mellow: I recently bought a starter camcorder - the Canon Vixia HFR 500 inspired by your terrific vids. You are truly the Wizard of Mantids.
Yay! Glad you got a camcorder. Hope you enjoy it. The 2 I've owner are also Canon Vixia so you're in good company. Now what you need to do is find out the thread size on the lens and buy an Opteka 10x Macro to add on. And if the f number is adjustable set it the highest setting.

OK, people. Female is now adult! She molted this afternoon which is pretty funny because I predicted it would happen early this month. I didn't take any chances and allowed her to molt undisturbed. I'll get photos of the process next generation (I hope). She had been roaming around upside down for days so I knew she was preparing. She chose the top of the cup and all went well. Male is due to molt within a month so we should be right on schedule.

Here are a few quick pics...

Haaniaa-f_5376-sm.jpg

Haaniaa-f_5374-sm.jpg

Amazing! First time seeing adult pictures and they are soooo cute ^^ What's her size? She looks tiny in the pictures!

oooh I get so excited every time I see that you've updated this thread!
Congrats on the adult female, she's simply a stunning little beastie!

This is truly amazing, kudos to all the work you've put into bringing this species into culture. Wish you best of luck with breeding them!

Wow! Amazing photos and such a cool mantis. I can't believe I missed this thread until you sent me the link.

Wishing you success in breeding them.

Latest posts