"hairiest caterpillar"

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the way it moves and looks to a certain extent suggests it is a caterpillar. but i dont know much about them at all, other than that they can be very varied and... outlandish. i remember seeing something similar on my way home from school when i was very young (and this is london) and being so scared, it looked unlike anything i had ever seen (or seen since, in real life). i thought it was an alien of some sort, i was very young.

regardless, thats absolutely amazing.

EDIT: at the end, someone says "dont touch it". QFT.

by legs I guess i'm talking about the segmented sort... they have 3 pairs of normal legs, 5 pairs of pros and 1 anal proleg... but this looks like it has more sophisticated legs - possibly pro all the way along...

so anyone have any idea?

Hi.

The first one is a caterpillar of the neotropical moth family Megalopygidae. The voice is right: inside the frothy hairs there are poisonous spines which cause rather longlasting effects...

The second one should be the caterpillar of Stauropus fagi, an European Notodontidae species.

Regards,

Christian

the moths legs are just as hairy

:D

200px-Megalopyge_opercularisMPCCP20040714-5799A.JPG

Latest posts