Handling Mantids

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beamerx1999

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I was going to ask, when is the right time to handle my mantids? I currently have two Ghost Mantids (Male & Female) that I got about three days ago. They seem to be very good in the cage I made them, which is a 12"x12"x2'. I'm just not sure when I can handle them, as they are in their L3 stage.

There's no sudden magical transformation where you can handle them when you couldn't before. If you don't feel comfortable handling them because your worried they're too small and delicate and might get lost, then don't. But you can technically handle them at any time if you're careful.

Indeed I begin to handle my mantids at L1 within a day of hatching and never had a issue besides some jumpers, which I always catch. ;)

I'm new to mantis but I have a L2 now L3 Decimiana Bolivari that is just a tad larger than a carpenter ant. I handle them all daily, even the tiny ones. I let the kids handle too. I pick a location with a light colored covering in case jumping happens.

Congrats! :)

The only time I tend not to handle them is if I think they are positioning themselves to molt. Also the big girls heavy with eggs I handle less.

handling excessively can shorten lifespan and stress them out
Any reference sources?

Only way I would see that would shorten lifespans is if they were damaged during handling. So far mine live their typical lifespans and were handled daily, or every few days.

Regarding stress indeed some are rather shy and I leave them be; however, the majority are interested in coming out and much prefer it. Even my nearly 30 wild caught mantids all like to be handled, and would rather sit on my hand, rather than the dowel rod/lid or even than jump back to their original perch in the wild.

Any reference sources?

Only way I would see that would shorten lifespans is if they were damaged during handling. So far mine live their typical lifespans and were handled daily, or every few days.

Regarding stress indeed some are rather shy and I leave them be; however, the majority are interested in coming out and much prefer it. Even my nearly 30 wild caught mantids all like to be handled, and would rather sit on my hand, rather than the dowel rod/lid or even than jump back to their original perch in the wild.
30 wild mantids! Nice.

I'm pretty sure the only time my shield drinks is when I handle him/her. I have become a drinking trough, even now spraying my hand a bit to allow water. I hope the handling isn't stressful, none jump or run away. They look around and crawl, and fight to not go back into the enclosure.

Latest posts