handling/transferring aggressive spiders

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joesbirds

Reaction score
Hello,

i have kept various species of spiders and animals. And was wondering how to transfer or handle larger, aggressive, and faster spiders safely. Thanks.

Joey

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont handle poisoniest ones, excuse spelling, but I would use a pair of gloves if you have to touch them and be slow and gentle when picking them up, I hear some throw their fine hairs at you, maybe a face mask too, now that I am thinking about it, or this one is really good, have someone else do it! But really, call Chuck at spiderpharm and ask him, he is the man who would know.

Usually there are two types of transfers.

1. Difficult: The kind of transfers dealers do (big container into smaller shipping container). In this case, the technique really depends, like Ricky indicated, on the species and size.

2. Easy: The kind of transfers customers do (small container into bigger, permanent container). Have the new (larger) cage ready and then carefully loosen the lid on the shipping container and set the shipping container inside the new cage. The spider will crawl out when it is ready and you can extract the old container and lid with tongs, later.

When in doubt use long handled tongs and perform the procedure in an open area with limited nearby hiding places (vents, cracks, etc.). Have everything set up and ready to go before you pull the lid off the container. Move slow...but be ready to move fast!

Hey Ricky.. I was looking to get an Usambar Orange Baboon (Pterinochilus murinus), and Singapore Blue (Lampropelma violaceopes). i have handled the more docile tarantulas. But have heard these are more aggressive. and hear the blue and get to a decent size. And Peter. Thanks for the info..

Joey

Awsome T's to get pretty much what Peter said is right on personally I just open the lid and poke em with tongs in the direction i want them to go but I have experience with fast and defensive T's just do what you gotta do in a large open space like Peter said and if it gets away from you no worries as long as it cant get in a area that is impossible to retrieve the spider you good. Remember these Tarantulas do not have a very good respritory system so they tire very fast

Latest posts