Harvester queen ants

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah, yes! I am planning on building a hydrostone nest. I just have to figure out exactly how? :unsure: I stink at building stuff! :(
Me too :lol: That's probably why none of my hydro-stone set-ups are as cool as the one in that link. Nowhere near as large either. But one day I hope to build a huge set-up. I get tired of having to let my Pogo colonies loose after only a couple years.

What is the name of the book you gave Chris that has all the keys to different ant species? Yesterday i saw two workers from the orange Pogo, and most P. rugorus queens have workers now. Very fast developent from pupa to ant for all Pogos.
Are you thinking of "The Ants of New Mexico"? If so, I'll email you a copy. It's only about 400 pages :p The book I gave him in Tucson was "The Ants" and you can get a copy here:

http://www.amazon.com/Ants-Bert-Holldobler/dp/0674040759/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1314734347&sr=1-1

There is currently a used copy for $52! I managed to pick up Christians for only $25 but don't expect to see that price again! "The Ants" is THE ant book. But very technical.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dream of some day having a farm type set up that takes up an entire wall in my house. What's hydrastone?

I dream of some day having a farm type set up that takes up an entire wall in my house. What's hydrastone?
Don't dream too long! Get started on that farm today. Obviously you will want to start a bit smaller then an entire wall. Where are you located? Unfortunately you probably missed the mating flights if you live in the US. But you can start researching available species in your area and find when they may fly next year. Then start planning on your first formicaria.

Hydro-stone is a type of "plaster of Paris". It usually comes in a 50lb bag. You mix it with water and pour it into a mold. Check out the link that Yen posted. It has good information about using the material. Hydro-Stone retains moisture and resists mold/mildew better then "regular" plaster of Paris or hydrocal.

Ah, yes! I am planning on building a hydrostone nest. I just have to figure out exactly how? :unsure: I stink at building stuff! :(
Here is a link for it, http://antfarm.yuku.com/topic/885 I will try to build a small one with hydrostone. It is going to be a trial and error thing for me.
Are you thinking of "The Ants of New Mexico"? If so, I'll email you a copy. It's only about 400 pages :p The book I gave him in Tucson was "The Ants" and you can get a copy here:

http://www.amazon.com/Ants-Bert-Holldobler/dp/0674040759/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1314734347&sr=1-1

There is currently a used copy for $52! I managed to pick up Christians for only $25 but don't expect to see that price again! "The Ants" is THE ant book. But very technical.
Thanks for the link!! Right now most of the ants look very similar to me, that book will certainly help.

Hydro-stone is a type of "plaster of Paris". It usually comes in a 50lb bag. You mix it with water and pour it into a mold. Check out the link that Yen posted. It has good information about using the material. Hydro-Stone retains moisture and resists mold/mildew better then "regular" plaster of Paris or hydrocal.
Ok, I have a little experience with plaster habitats. I like them a lot except for not being able to see the ants build their own tunnels

...well I'm jealous of all the ant colony keepers! I haven't kept a colony since college :( That last one was in a jar set in a deep dish of water used as a security moat and drinking water supply.

I'd like to see pics from everyone!

Latest posts