Has anyone ever had eggs laid not protected by an ooth?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

Reaction score
My "midget" iris oratoria missed an instar. She had injured her legs and wouldn't molt for over a month and when she finally did, she skipped right to an adult. The problem is she thinks she is bigger than she really is; when I first fed her, she ate until she literally "exploded" with eggs. (She laid the eggs minutes after she ate). My guess is that she just ate too much, so she had to prematurely lay the eggs before her abdomen did explode.

My camera is no good to post anything, but with my opthalmoscope I see bubbles that look fluid filled on the side of her malformed ooth sac.

Has this happened to anyone?

How can I protect these eggs without an egg case?

I am so heartbroken with all my mismolts and eye infections, and leg injuries. Does anyone want my healthy babies and healthy eggs? I will keep the injured ones, but then I am done. This is too heart-breaking.

I have zero experience with laying females, but I can tell you that you shouldn't feed your mantids on a set schedule. They will continue to eat regardless if they need food or not. If you see their abdomen is large and distended, wait to feed them. Don't be dissapointed though, it happens. Learn from your mistakes and experiences and you'll become a great keeper because of it.

Maybe your just having a little run of bad luck.Exposed eggs have almost no chance of survival.

I don't know what to tell you dude. I think she is just messed up and I don't think you should try a help her. You don't have to go by my opinion but that what I would do. My first praying mantis mismolted and I would of had a ooth right now, but that's the way thing are. I'm sorry

Latest posts