Has anyone tried selective breeding with mantids?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xenomantis

Reaction score
Have you ever focused on breeding only the largest mantids or for a specific color? Or maybe even just breeding the individuals with the calmest personalities? I was just wondering if anyone had tried a long-term selective breeding program. :)

Hey you know what? I haven't thought if this before but it sounds like a great idea!

Hey you know what? I haven't thought if this before but it sounds like a great idea!
If they can do it with feeder insects (fruit flies and wingless house flies), then I bet that it would be interesting to see the types of mantids produced from such experiments. :)

It'll take many years and a whole lot of specimens before you achieve any results.

But don't let me discourage you. :p

Yes, but you may see results in one generation. That nymph that is like that might die, so it really depends. It takes while to see that all of them are like that though. Fruit flies bred quickly, so several generations and faster results. Mantids, it seems, need like a year.

It'll take many years and a whole lot of specimens before you achieve any results.But don't let me discourage you. :p
Yes, but you may see results in one generation. That nymph that is like that might die, so it really depends. It takes while to see that all of them are like that though. Fruit flies bred quickly, so several generations and faster results. Mantids, it seems, need like a year.
In order to make discoveries, there must be an effort to do so. I'm sure that applies to discovering new aspects of mantids as well.

Even if it means years of work, setbacks, expenses, and time-consuming planning I'm still willing to try. :wink:

I'm trying that will my Chinese. The female has a beautiful colour, as does the male, I'm really hoping that they pass that on.

Also I've seen if you take you matids out daily and let them wonder a bit they seem to become a lot calmer. But if you stop doing it for a bit they become very jumpy. Mabye if you do that you can trian the mantids to get used to you. I don't know it probably won't work.

I don't know if anyone has seen that. I usually take my adults out and let them wander, they seem to like it. :D

I'm trying that will my Chinese. The female has a beautiful colour, as does the male, I'm really hoping that they pass that on.Also I've seen if you take you matids out daily and let them wonder a bit they seem to become a lot calmer. But if you stop doing it for a bit they become very jumpy. Mabye if you do that you can trian the mantids to get used to you. I don't know it probably won't work.

I don't know if anyone has seen that. I usually take my adults out and let them wander, they seem to like it. :D
They'll fly away...

Mine don't fly away for some odd reason. They're all wild caught too. They just hang out on my laptop most of the time.

:lol:

I do, but I take them out often.

The Chinese ones live in a fabric mesh cage and I had to make makeshift doors for them, they sometimes come undone but the mantids stay in the cages. It's a tad bit weird but at least I don't have to worry about them getting loose.

(I woke up one day and the door was undone and I fell asleep again and woke up two hours later and the mantid hadn't even left the cage. :shock: )

maybe someone can create a wingless mantid! Just keep mating the mantids with the smallest wings until the wings are so small they are practically invisible.

This is probably impossible but it sounds cool.

I don't think it's possible but it sounds cool.

Even though I do tend to like the wings on mantises.

yeah me too, but it would be really cool to have a species that has no wings even when it reaches adulthood.

Latest posts