Has Something Got At My Peacock OOth! ((Help!)).

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desana

Reaction score
Hi i wonder if anyone could help. I bought this peacock ooth off ebay and it has been in incubation now 7wks this coming wednesday. But its looking a bit doubtful if there is anything going to hatch. I noticed this hole in it when i first got it but just thought this is how its been laid. But becoming a bit more familiar with ooths after reading stuff on the forums i just wondered if anything had got to it such as wasps or anything else. Im now wondering if its a dud. Could anyone out there offer some advice in anyway cheers!.................................. :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

DSC01186.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I am no expert, but to me it doesnt look good. I would consider contacting the seller, but it may be too late to get any refund. I would keep it in the container for another3 or 4 weeks then probably think it was a dud and cut it in half to see if the bottom half had anything in it and figure some wouold survive in the top half.

i have 2 peacock ooths incubating,its possible that the hole in the ooth was caused by the breeder pulling it off the surface it was laid on.when that happened to me the eggs inside dryed out.but its only a wild guees.

i dont think its that cos its still attached to the leaf it was laid on!

was it wild cought or breed by a breeder?
no idea mate! i suppose if it still attached to the leaf it was laid on there is a good chance it was wild cos i suppose there arnt a lot of people who keep there mantids with live plants (or is there) i dont really know just guessing i suppose!....

Last edited by a moderator:
Ooths should not have a big hole in the side. All you can really do is wait and see.

Ooths should not have a big hole in the side. All you can really do is wait and see.
how long though any idea when is a good time to safely say its a dud cheers!

i never saw a hole like this in my pseudempusa ooths but it looks kind of natural, not as if its been punctured. mine take about 6 weeks to hatch. i think after 3 months its safe to throw them into the basket. "but never give up a ooth!"

Latest posts