Hatching BSFL "crawl outs" into Adult Flies?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PragmaticHominid

Reaction score
Hi all, 

I've got about 300 BSFL "craw outs" (the big black ones that are about to pupate) and am looking for straight forward advise on what I need to do to get them to hatch out into flies. 

I'm not having a lot of luck finding info on this because most of the guides/videos seem geared towards breeding/using them for compost, which is way more complex than what I'm trying to do. 

Mine shipped as just the flies. Do they need some kind of bedding, and if so what? Do they still need to eat at this stage? What about water? How can I encourage them to become adult flies as quickly as possible? 

What are they? never heard bsfl? There is a lot of info on here for raising flies. Most live on real meat, but some have

success on other mediums. House fly can make it on a mix or sour milk. Cant give more info till I know  what that is.

ok, hold on , lets see if google knows. naw, google is confused too.

I'm aware of the sticky and I explained in my original post why it was not helping me, but thanks I guess.

Bit late to the party, maybe too late?

When they are black so far as I know from all my research they do not need to be fed anymore, they are done eating at that point, empty their guts and get to becoming a fly.

Bedding is likely only really needed to encourage the buggers to not try to crawl out of your container and settle down to become flies faster. Anything dry should do: coco fiber, dirt, or coffee grounds are my usual go to. I would think sawdust, oatmeal or any other usual bedding materials would be fine as well. They are just looking for a nice dry place to hide and pupate.

I am not really sure how you can speed up the pupating but I would think keeping them warm could not go astray. 

Latest posts