Hatching Gongylus Gongylodes ooths!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ismart

Reaction score
I will soon be getting some Gongylus ooths. I just need to know from members who have hatched Gongylus ooths before, what conditions did you keep your ooths in to hatch them?

I keep mine around 30C, and spray once every 2 days.

Yesterday my first ooth hatched:)

dscf0917y.jpg

I keep mine around 85 to ninty and must spray everyday, I also sometimes when I can put a cup of hot water in the incubator to help the humidity, aren't those babies cute! They always remind me of someone wearing the old time muffs on their hands , head and feet! :lol:

I really appreciate both your imput. Thank-you!

Pelle, what is in the bottom right corner of your picture? I cant make it out. Oh and congrats on your new babies.

i have an extra question. how long do they take to hatch?

mine are in a cage with a 40w heat lamp (not shining directly on them) and at 27c and 15c at night. they are in a plastic tub with lots of small holes in it and condensation on the sides. is that bad or should it remain open so theres no condensation? one has what looks like tiny bits of fuzzy mold on it. so how do you prevent mold if you have to keep them both warm AND at a humidity to prevent desication? :unsure:

i have an extra question. how long do they take to hatch? mine are in a cage with a 40w heat lamp (not shining directly on them) and at 27c and 15c at night. they are in a plastic tub with lots of small holes in it and condensation on the sides. is that bad or should it remain open so theres no condensation? one has what looks like tiny bits of fuzzy mold on it. so how do you prevent mold if you have to keep them both warm AND at a humidity to prevent desication? :unsure:
I never spray my G. gongylode ooths, so I wouldn't worry too much about the dessication part especially as your getting mold on the ootheca.

I've had ooths hatch at 4 weeks, but normally around 5-6weeks, depends on the incubation temp.

I never spray my G. gongylode ooths, so I wouldn't worry too much about the dessication part especially as your getting mold on the ootheca.I've had ooths hatch at 4 weeks, but normally around 5-6weeks, depends on the incubation temp.
well i say mold, but it might be fluff from the ooth. they are quite fuzzy and soft so hard to tell wot it is.

thanks for the advice though. i'll cut down some of the humidity. but i cant really see how such little things wont just dry out at 25c. im fairly paranoid as ive had ooths dry up before. they either dry up or go moldy with me :(

its great they hatch quite quickly, as it lessons the time for problems to develop

Latest posts