hcarlton's Mantid Photos

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's this? An update?

Sadly, my Gonatista passed away, from reasons entirely unknown...but I still have too many Chinese mantids everywhere that I could stand to sell, and this guy below finally made it to adult:

Parasphendale agrionina male by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr

First try failed too, but he finally decided the older of my two females was interesting, and has now been riding around on her back for a day and a half...sadly, I have not caught him in the act he is supposed to perform, so I have no idea if he's actually done his job yet or just going for a joyride on the fat girl...

I'm sorry about your gonatista. The Budwing male is cute though! I wish you luck with breeding!

- MantisGirl13

No luck needed apparently, just a jostle...the container they're in was sitting near a heat lamp just to see if that would encourage anything, but it was in the way today so I went to move it back, and the moment I picked up the container the male connected with the female...weirdo....

So I was told ghost males are short-lived, and they don't eat...this guy's been fully mature for over a month now, approaching pushing a month and a half, and he munches most of the houseflies I stick in his cup...is he anomalous? 
A little late to the game, but my male ghosts are the same. I was under the impression that they will only eat a handful of flies in their adult lifespan, but they both take flies quite readily. Granted, they don't eat nearly as much as the females, but I have found what seems to be a trade-off; adult females eat, while adult males drink. I have yet to witness my females drink when I spray their enclosures, but the males go absolutely nuts when I spray theirs. I haven't been in the hobby for long, but none of my other mantises drink as voraciously when I spray their enclosures-- the only species close are my orchid nymphs. Are your males still alive?

Great pics btw!

No luck needed apparently, just a jostle...the container they're in was sitting near a heat lamp just to see if that would encourage anything, but it was in the way today so I went to move it back, and the moment I picked up the container the male connected with the female...weirdo....
Congratulations on the connection!

- MantisGirl13

A little late to the game, but my male ghosts are the same. I was under the impression that they will only eat a handful of flies in their adult lifespan, but they both take flies quite readily. Granted, they don't eat nearly as much as the females, but I have found what seems to be a trade-off; adult females eat, while adult males drink. I have yet to witness my females drink when I spray their enclosures, but the males go absolutely nuts when I spray theirs. I haven't been in the hobby for long, but none of my other mantises drink as voraciously when I spray their enclosures-- the only species close are my orchid nymphs. Are your males still alive?

Great pics btw!
My females drink most of the times that I spritz the containers (and the two original breeding females are still around too; male was gone a long while ago. It's been long enough the next generation is probably abut a month and a half, maybe two from maturing). But then, I live in a relatively low humidity environment.

60? A humid day here is 40 % (though with all the plants I grow it's probably a fair bit higher in the house itself.

60? A humid day here is 40 % (though with all the plants I grow it's probably a fair bit higher in the house itself.
The Toronto area is very humid in the summer. It's even humid outdoors in the winter. But with central heat in the winter, the house runs below is 20pct without humidifiers. I figure thats how my thistle subs came to mismolt. 

I'm enjoying the the change. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the bigger species, but they all seem to have issues of one form or other...the Shields and Giant Asians had males that never seemed to want to breed, I've got two Carolina females but no males, the second budwing female ate the male and I'm not sure if the pairing he had with either female was actually successful (first ooth still hasn't done anything and it's been many a week)...oh, and the Elmantis females like to chew on the males before mating even occurs, so I've only got one left and like 5 females to pair up still....sigh. We'll see if anything comes of the Chinese that are now maturing...

At least, I can rely on these guys. Next generation is maturing; several males are admittedly well ahead of the females, but I'm sure they'll be around long enough for even them to maybe have a shot.

P. paradoxa male by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr

I’m sorry ou are having so much trouble with the larger species! I hope the ghosts at least do well for you.

- MantisGirl13 

Well, I think for now I'm gonna stick with some of the smaller species until I have the space to really set up a bunch of big enclosures for the larger species...I've had continued success with Elmantis and Phyllocrania, and now gonna try one more: 

Creobroter sp. by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr

The latest adult male paradoxa

P. paradoxa adult male by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr

And the TON of nymphs that I have currently; interest has slackened recently but I don't really want to keep all 4 dozen or so...

P. paradoxa nymphs by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr

P. paradoxa nymphs by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr

Creo's are beautiful too

you have a lot of little nymphs to care for❤️ hope baby ghosts and creos will all make it to adulthood