Heat Lamp

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like to turn them off at night. It's pretty warm in here, and I would rather simulate a real outside environment more by lowering heat and light at night. Plus, that constant heat speeds metabolism (ultimately a shorter life).

Heat emitters is what I use lol. They are the best considering it gets down to the 50s in my house at night.

Yah same! Butr What I did was put the basking light on one end of tht tank so the gongy can move from 88 to 82 when it gets to hot. I think that is perfect. wbu?

Yeah - mine are all on timers now, but I did a number of experiements with constant light and, in a different enclosure, constant heat, and saw no discernable differences (in Idolos from the same ooth). Which also means, I saw no real VALUE in keeping them constantly on. So I went back to timers.

Yeah - mine are all on timers now, but I did a number of experiements with constant light and, in a different enclosure, constant heat, and saw no discernable differences (in Idolos from the same ooth). Which also means, I saw no real VALUE in keeping them constantly on. So I went back to timers.
Nice! I'll keep doing the same.

If there's a species that is proven to thrive with a constant 100F+ I suppose I'll leave a bulb on all the time, but until then...

I use a 50W infrared bulb. I angle it on the side of enclosure. Move it a little further from enclosure at night and it drps about 8-10 degrees. I leave it on 24 hours a day. I just flip the light switch on to replicate daylight.

I just wanted to clarify: Because I saw no BENEFIT to keeping the lights or heat on all the time, I reverted back to the timers. Obviously, there's a money savings (bulb life & electricity), but it's uncertain if there would be any unguessed effect further down the line (next generation NEEDING those conditions, circadian rhythms.. whatever). So, like they say in the small print "your experince may vary".

You can get a timer at Wally world for pretty cheap. Seems like they'd do better with a dark cycle.

Latest posts