HEFTY MEAL!!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agent A

the autistic flower mantis
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so a luna moth male (i dont do this to females) eclosed all deformed and useless, but i didnt want him to be wasted

so my hungry oxy female helped me out

she ate almost the whole thing excluding fur and wings/end of abdomen, reminds me of how leopards dont eat fur of their prey

7206330726_dfa4566eb7.jpg

enjoy :)

I never thought a female Oxy would take on a luna moth. One of my three male Luna moths has some imperfections. I've considered feeding him to one of my larger mantids.

Very impressive young Alex!

So now, if you are seated comfortably, perhaps we could explore why you would sacrifice a male moth and not a female.

I'm sure that you've heard of the playwright Sophocles. Do you remember his play, Oedipus the King? Well, when he was a little boy.... :D

I'm constantly surprised at how much a mantis can eat at times. My tiny L2 hierodula majuscula ate a full sized meal worm and then attacked and ate a german cockroach that stumbled into her enclosure, both of the prey were atleast the same size or bigger than her lol, she looked like she was going to explode, then moulted about 5 days later

:eek: Well there goes the male with wavy wings you said you'd sell me! :angry: I'm tell'n your Mom... :devil:
i thought u wanted eggs :lol: :blush:

Wow! Did it finish the whole thing?
almost, didnt eat fur, wings or the very tip of the abdomen

How long you had this female oxy? o.o
i got her in february

I never thought a female Oxy would take on a luna moth. One of my three male Luna moths has some imperfections. I've considered feeding him to one of my larger mantids.
r u kidding me? she eats through adult male dubias :chef:

Very impressive young Alex!

So now, if you are seated comfortably, perhaps we could explore why you would sacrifice a male moth and not a female.

I'm sure that you've heard of the playwright Sophocles. Do you remember his play, Oedipus the King? Well, when he was a little boy.... :D
if it was a female i would let it call and attract wild males, she'd still lay eggs that would become perfectly normal larvae but if she were wild she wouldnt fly off to lay but that doesnt make her incapable in captivity

males need to fly to get mates ;)

We fed one of those to an orchid female at the zoo to distract her from a male last year. Can't believe they can eat so much without at least getting sick. Or exploding. LOL :p

Latest posts