Hello <3

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Merc

Reaction score
I'm terrible at things like this but I just wanted to post a quick intro thread. :) Peter referred me here after I sent him an email through his site, and I'm happy to be here! I have several forums for all my other creatures (dogs, fish, snakes and other reptiles), so having a mantid forum makes me feel right at home. :)

I'm a 22-year-old female from Minnesota (moving soon to NC!) and I currently have a Creobroter gemmatus adult female (Purchased from MantisPlace.com, who I think is a member of this forum? :) ). I had four to begin with but since they were my first, trial and error and having to leave them with family who weren't as enthused about them while I was gone for three weeks left me with just the one left.

I'm hoping to try again and after reading a few threads on this forum, would love to try them communally. :) I'm also looking to get Violins in the future should I be able to find them, they're one of my favourite mantid species - I fell in love after seeing a beautiful communal Violin setup at the Omaha zoo, and would love to replicate that with the 55 gallon tank I have sitting empty at my parents' house.

I guess that's the basics. :) I'll probably lurk more than I post and absorb as much information as possible, but I wanted to just pop in and say 'hi!' :)

Welcome to the forum!

I made an attempt at a communal Creo setup. I'm convinced that it would have worked, had they not all insisted in sitting in the same corner of the ceiling together instead of the bonsai I had in there for them! Even then they left each other alone until I ran low on food when they were L5, a few got munched at that point. Once I had plenty of flies again it was too late! They had already learned that when hunger strikes, you just reach an arm out and snag a sibling, no point waiting for the flies to cruise by. Please post pictures when you start your communal setup, I'm sure it will be far more successful than mine was.

Welcome aboard :) feel free to ask any question you have, you'll always find people willing to help :)

so what Reps do you have? B)

Thank you so much for the warm welcome, everyone! :D

Welcome to the forum!

I made an attempt at a communal Creo setup. I'm convinced that it would have worked, had they not all insisted in sitting in the same corner of the ceiling together instead of the bonsai I had in there for them! Even then they left each other alone until I ran low on food when they were L5, a few got munched at that point. Once I had plenty of flies again it was too late! They had already learned that when hunger strikes, you just reach an arm out and snag a sibling, no point waiting for the flies to cruise by. Please post pictures when you start your communal setup, I'm sure it will be far more successful than mine was.
Thank you! :) I will for sure post pics. I just did an enclosure overhaul for the communal setting, got a new topic up.

Welcome aboard :) feel free to ask any question you have, you'll always find people willing to help :)

so what Reps do you have? B)
Haa, I should have specified. No reptiles yet (sadly!), but I am a part of several other forums and am absorbing all the information I can on bearded dragons and Hog Island boas. I'm not in a place to own them right now, having to settle with just the mantids, but as soon as I have my own place (soon!), I'm going to get myself a reptile of some kind. :) I've already got most of the supplies. xD Just need the creature. Just haven't decided one or the other or both.

Haa, I should have specified. No reptiles yet (sadly!), but I am a part of several other forums and am absorbing all the information I can on bearded dragons and Hog Island boas. I'm not in a place to own them right now, having to settle with just the mantids, but as soon as I have my own place (soon!), I'm going to get myself a reptile of some kind. :) I've already got most of the supplies. xD Just need the creature. Just haven't decided one or the other or both.
*both* :lol: bearded dragons here cost alot, always wanted one :(

Latest posts