Hello and a fast question from Italy!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm Lorenzo, from Italy. I'm in love with mantis since something like 5-6 years ago.

Recently I've also opened a Youtube Channel about arthropods in general but for now there is 3 of 4 videos about mantis. (have a look if you want: Arthropods Channel)

What I'm wondering is this: one of my Phyllocrania paradoxa (L6) isn't eating nor molting. I think she is fine, acting normal, but why is that?

Welcome to the forum! Awesome videos. Not sure about your ghost though... I hope she starts eating again.

Maybe she's just not interested, my female didn't wanna eat for 2 days this week, but suddenly she ate 1 fly after another. They are hard to understand sometimes xD

Maybe she's just not interested, my female didn't wanna eat for 2 days this week, but suddenly she ate 1 fly after another. They are hard to understand sometimes xD
Yeah, but I'm talking about something that is 2-3 weeks long (clearly I had to force feed she in the while, trying to do it the less I can, but I thought it was essential). Really don't know. It is really hard to understand them! Ahahah!

Wow, I didn't even know they can survive that long without food. Damn, I even start stressing if they don't eat for like 1-2 days. Something I do sometimes is take a dead fly, put some honey on it and wiggle it in front of her face holding the fly with tweezers. She should notice or smell it..

I think a well fed L6 mantid can do it for 2-3 weeks (absolutely not advisable anyway). As I said, I had to force feed some Tenebrio molitor larvae to her!

Does she ever attempt to catch prey but fails, or does she just plain ignores them?

She attack them but I believe she do it just when they are annoying her. So, not for eating but just to scare them! Don't know if it makes sense!

Hmm, I've only had males do that, but males are known for not eating very much during their adult life. I've never had a female not eat for that long. One of them did once eat her own limbs, still don't know why she did it. As I said, they are hard to understand sometimes, do you keep a few together or only one?

I keep them separeted. Anyway it is strange because she act like and should be in premolt (fat enough and sitting there, moving slowly) but she do this since she started fasting (so, clearly too much to be in premolt). I don't know. Keeping my finger crossed! :(

hmm, is it humid enough in there? Might be she's waiting because the conditions aren't good. Have you tried spraying water in there to get a high humidity?

hmmm, then I really can't say what the problem could be, can you update me when her condition changes? I'd like to know more about this 

I can recommend 3 thing which have worked for my ghosts (or mantids in general)

1- Offer flies. Ghosts and other flower mantids go NUTS for these things. They chase after them or they keep watching it, waiting for it to fly near them.

2- Increase heat, but shouldn't be practically cooking the mantis alive! 80 degrees F should be good

3- Increase humidity

Thank you!

I can recommend 3 thing which have worked for my ghosts (or mantids in general)

1- Offer flies. Ghosts and other flower mantids go NUTS for these things. They chase after them or they keep watching it, waiting for it to fly near them.

2- Increase heat, but shouldn't be practically cooking the mantis alive! 80 degrees F should be good

3- Increase humidity
Temperature is at this value, it used to be also higher. And unfortunately I don't have flies, otherwise I would have used them! Just got crickets (I red that aren't so good so I'm not feeding them to the Phyllocraniae), cockroaches and Tenebrio molitor larvae.

hmmm, then I really can't say what the problem could be, can you update me when her condition changes? I'd like to know more about this 
I will for sure.

Hmm then I recommend grabbing a small roach by its legs or antennae and dangling it around the mantis to imitate flying prey. This worked for my Creos.

Latest posts