Hello, anyone in Cali?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LazarusMantid

Reaction score
Hi I've been interested in mantids all my life. Though rarely, every time I would see them on websites, in games, on clothing, I was always fascinated and gravitated to them. Recently I decided I wanted some 'mantis merchandise' so I took myself to Ebay and looked up praying mantis. I saw Chinese Ooth for sale and I realized that there is a pet trade for mantids! This was the first I'd heard of this. I basically freaked out and poured over any information I could find about keeping mantids. It's only been a week but I've learned a whole lot. Of course, my own mantis, an Egyptian Pygmy is coming to my house any day now. So he/she will be my first mantis. I'm sure as with anything, keeping mantises and reading about mantises are vastly different things but I feel like this is destiny. Even though he/she is still coming I keep 3-5 tabs open with mantis pictures and I just look at them every hour or so. I had no idea there was such a dedicated community for these incredible and interesting creatures. I'm very excited to start my hobby. I'll cross my fingers and hope I have a knack for it in the coming months.

" I keep 3-5 tabs open with mantis pictures and I just look at them every hour or so "

Lol that sounds like me!

Welcome to the forum! You came to the right place to get started and prepare for your little guy to come!

Definitely check out these threads if you haven't already!

There's a lot of great info in these, so take your time!!

The last two are about fruit fly culturing!

Oh, and also there's that little search bar for questions you might have that already have been answered.

p.s.

I'm in Cali too :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Haha I know exactly how you feel! My little man or girl came in the mail yesterday! The wait was unbearable lol, where do you order him/her from?
Mantis Pets. I saw some reviews and said they were fine so I went with it since they have a really nice beginner's kit. Kind of wishing I could get a ghost already lol. Or maybe a Giant Rainforest from Moonlight Mantids XD. Those are the other two I really want even though the Egyptain is so cute I just want to hug it!

Oh so this video: 

The orchid nymph is so cute and precious I actually started crying lol. I have a feeling I will do the same thing with my Egyptian when I get it XD I never thought I could have a mantis!

Mantis Pets. I saw some reviews and said they were fine so I went with it since they have a really nice beginner's kit. Kind of wishing I could get a ghost already lol. Or maybe a Giant Rainforest from Moonlight Mantids XD. Those are the other two I really want even though the Egyptain is so cute I just want to hug it!
Yes, they do have a great starter package! I was looking into purchasing one but I got crafty instead lol. Ghosts are awesome, I need to get one in my collection!

Oh so this video: The orchid nymph is so cute and precious I actually started crying lol. I have a feeling I will do the same thing with my Egyptian when I get it XD I never thought I could have a mantis!
The person who posted this video is also a member on this forum! I think bonsaimaster? Very friendly and helpful! 

I ordered an orchid from another member on here, he is in L1 stage right now so he is black and red, and yes, I teared up... he is my little baby.

You gotta let me know if it goes well with your mantis. If you have luck and I get my egyptian and ghost past their final molts I'll think about getting an orchid. :D  What other mantises do you have?

You gotta let me know if it goes well with your mantis. If you have luck and I get my egyptian and ghost past their final molts I'll think about getting an orchid. :D  What other mantises do you have?
I think I'm going to start a thread of the life adventures of Sweet Pea. Haha, just named him/her. Right now I only have my orchid, I had some Chinese mantids and one orchid in the past. But as of right now all my love and attention is going to this little baby! :p

Please post some pictures when your mantis comes!

Hello and welcome to the forum
welcome6.gif

Egyptian Pygmy mantids likely Miomantis paykullii (some common names can refer to many species) from MantisPets, are a great species although they grow only to about 1" as an adult. I've raised several that I hatched from two ooths, and ended up selling/giving most away. Here is the dedicated caresheet for you have some information on the species.

I recommend you take a look at the breeder feedback section for any sellers, before you buy. Here is the one for Serpentarium Surplus (aka Moonlight Mantids). I'm not expressing a opinion, but just letting you know feedback does exist for sellers/sites. ;)

welcome6.gif

Egyptian Pygmy mantids likely Miomantis paykullii (some common names can refer to many species) from MantisPets, are a great species although they grow only to about 1" as an adult. I've raised several that I hatched from two ooths, and ended up selling/giving most away. Here is the dedicated caresheet for you have some information on the species.

I recommend you take a look at the breeder feedback section for any sellers, before you buy. Here is the one for Serpentarium Surplus (aka Moonlight Mantids). I'm not expressing a opinion, but just letting you know feedback does exist for sellers/sites. ;)
I appreciate the info! :D  I will take a good look to see where I'd like to get my next mantis!

welcome6.gif

Always looking out! Such a great forum.

I appreciate the info! :D  I will take a good look to see where I'd like to get my next mantis!
Your welcome, more than happy to provide links.

Their are several places to get a new mantis friend online, but it doesn't hurt to see the outcome from other buyers. :) The section lets our community spread how their outcome went, and of course it isn't always problem-free.

Although as it's heading into summer here in the US (June 20) the classifieds get more quiet, but in a few months (2-4) there should be plenty of offers for new pets. As that is the time people start collecting wild ooths, their pets are laying ooths, and people start staying inside more. I know I spend more time outside collecting specimens too.

Latest posts