Hello Everyone!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WalkerNom

Reaction score
My name is Amber and I was born and raised in Delaware, USA.

I have loved animals for as long as I can remember.  That includes those that people tend to shy away from (insects, reptiles, arachnids, etc.).  I seem to love them the most.  Insects have always fascinated me and you can often spot me in my natural habitat....looking at this cool bug I found, handling giant moths, bringing said moths to family members exclaiming, "Isn't it beautiful?!", admiring the orb weavers in their webs and watching the fireflies at night.  Unfortunately I don't have much experience with mantids, other than the occasional baby that ends up on my shirt or the stray that finds itself in our screened in porch.  But I'd like to change that.

Recently I've been introduced to the Ghost Mantis (Phyllocrania paradoxa) and I've been in love ever since.  I've done tons of reading (and watching videos) but as always, any tips and tricks are welcome.  Especially since I'm not experienced with mantids.  I don't own one yet but I'd like to order one in the near future.

Welcome Amber! I can relate to the fascination with insects in particular. I love to look closely at all the plants around my house to see what I can find in them, but I think my neighbors see me staring intensely at the bushes in front of my townhouse and think I am a little crazy! LOL. 

Also Ghost mantises are an amazing beginner species!  Feel free to ask any questions you have about them here on the forums, and we will be more then happy to answer them all! Most of us have raised them at one time or another and thoroughly enjoyed them, so everyone is always eager to share their experiences here. FYI...I am having a sale on ghosts nymphs on my website for the 4th of July holiday! Sat -Tues. only!  ;)

@Ocelotbren - Thank you!  It's really easy to get sucked in...Do you own any mantids yet?

@Sarah K - Thank you!  ...And join the club lol I live very close to my neighbors as well and I'm sure they think I have a screw or two loose.  How perfect that you commented on my thread, I've been stalking checking out your site for a few days now.  It's a lovely site and so helpful!  I might see what I can do about that sale  ;)

@WalkerNom It sure is haha.  You search for one subject and find many related threads so you read through all of them, and end up getting linked to other threads from within those, and so on...  I started with two Chinese nymphs in January, and just purchased four ghost nymphs a few weeks ago which are doing great and are really entertaining.

Here are a couple: http://imgur.com/a/zhS5z.

The last one just molted to L4 yesterday so they're all at L4 now, and I believe both of those pictures are of them at L4.  I got them at L2-3.  A bit hard to get used to how tiny they are after Chinese nymphs, but so cute!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Amber and welcome to the forum :)

Ghosts (Phyllocrania paradoxa) are great species for beginners and anyone wanting something "exotic" looking. ;) For advice see the Ghost caresheet, but if you have any specific questions just ask.

@CosbyArt - Thank you!  I was so happy to learn that Ghosts were considered a beginner species when I first started reading.  That's not usually the case with creatures I'd like to keep haha!

@Jessie - Awesome!  Do you have pictures? 

Welcome to the fun group of mantis --fanatics-- err     keepers. Liking small things, I started with ghosts cause of the exotic look and size. Them and orchids are the ones for me.

We had a warm snap last December after some frigid (teens) temps. Saw a winged moth fluttering near the garage. Spent 15 minutes dancing around trying to catch it. Then I realized what I must look like to the neighbors. I can truly say my mantis made me do it! LOL

Soooo excited that I got to order my first ever mantids!  I ordered two Ghost Mantises and some fruit flies from @Sarah K!

In other news, look who stopped by for a visit:

ALDO7lJ.jpg

He/she has been in our porch for about two days.  Water is from me spraying the screen to give it some.  I'm not sure what kind of mantis it is though (I don't know the difference between Chinese and Carolinas).  

I wasn't going to capture it, I don't have bugs ready to feed it and no container to keep it in.  There are plenty of bugs in our porch for it to eat though.  Maybe it will stick around for awhile.

Last edited by a moderator:
None kept at present but had 6 ghosts, one female budwing one mystery mantis and a wild caught.

Yeah about that dancing around the side yard  Never did catch that flying mantis dinner. LOL got too winded to keep up with it.  But it was fun while I was doing it.

Latest posts