Hello, from a future mantid owner

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Golden State Vivs

Reaction score
Hello all! I do not yet own any mantids, but I do plan to start keeping them, after I finish researching all aspects of mantid husbandry. I think I am going to start with a small group of ghost mantids.

I currently keep mantellas and tree frogs (I am a resident over at www.dendroboard.com), but I know a few dendrobatid keepers over there that also keep mantids. I also keep/breed dwarf white isopods, Costa Rican purple isopods, grey isopods, tan isopods, giant orange isopods, temperate springtails, dubia roaches, hydei and melanogaster fruit flies, and bean beetles.

I am looking forward to delving into the world of the very fascinating mantids!

Welcome!

I'm glad to hear that you are extensively researching how to care for them before you buy them too many people jump in too quickly, good call.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome! I agree with Paradoxica...I am quite pleased with the extent of research you are doing...too many a times people have been like 'hello....I'm new to mantises and want orchids because they are pretty (or idolos)'...it frustrates me so much...anyway, glad to see a new person who really cares abt mantises :D

Good on you for joining! Im sure youre familiar with the drill, you join a hobby, youre addicted.... :p Ghosties are interesting mantids, Im sure youll enjoy them!

Hey there :) I think it's awesome that you have mantellas. When I get out of the apartment that I am in and into a house I plan on getting a 150gallon tank just for frogs. I am not 100% sure what kind yet but I have some time to decide. Are you able to house Mantellas with other frogs? I was thinking about poison dart frogs but I can't seem to make my mind up.

Anyhow, good luck on your mantis quest. I just got my first one a few days ago and once I do some reading and get a little experience I want to get some of the more exotic ones. I hope everything goes well for you.