Hello from California

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J.mena

Reaction score
After a couple weeks of lurking I've decided to post and say hello. I just got started on mantids. It all started from a wild caught female (which I didn't know at the time). I was in my truck on a 15. Then I see this green thing run across the parking lot, stopping right at my feet. Then I saw it was a mantis and a big one at that. I didn't think much of it and went back to work. I come back out for my lunch and she's sitting on top of my hood. I thought that was strange behavior. So I took a couple pics and went back to work. Told some coworkers that thought it was weird too. So at the end of my shift I say if the mantis is still there I'll take it home. Low and behold it's right at my tires. So I capture her in a cup and take her home. The next day I go out and buy a small tank and some crickets. She devoured all 5 and then I got hooked. 

I started reading everyday about what they need and the food etc. Come to find out how many cool species there are out there. My girlfriend is in to it too. So that makes it even worse. I show her a picture of an orchid and she loves it. So we ordered another from panterrapets.com and I bought a nano exo Terra tank. The day before she gets here I read that she can't be in that big of a tank yet. So I rush out before she gets delivered and made a Mason jar habitat. I had everything ready for her when she arrived healthy and full of life. I picked her up and sprayed some water on my hand. She actually drank from my hand. 

So I continue my research and make sure I know everything required to keep them alive. I've kept all sorts of exotics that needed special requirements so nothing seems too out of the ordinary yet. She's a L3, but hasn't molted yet. That's what I'm really worried about. Till then I'll keep feeding and caring for her. 

Fast forward a week. I was moving some stuff out of a friend's house I was storing some stuff at. So I get bored waiting for my friend with the truck and I found another tiny mantis. I thought it was a baby, but it was so late in the year. I take him home and put him in another large Mason jar and feed him. Two days later I realize it wasn't a baby, but a subadult male. I watched him molt and grow giant wings. That was very cool to see. Will probably breed them then most likely will release into my garden. Or offer some online. Haven't decided yet. 

I'll finish this up with saying I never thought I'd be this into bugs, but it's fun and they're very interesting. This forum has been such a big help. I've read through almost every post lol. And feel confident I can keep them alive because of this place. 

My name is Jesse and it's nice to be here. 

Current mantids 

Male/female stigmomantis limbata 

Female orchid mantis

Male/female budwing on the way. 

Ps I'm still getting use to the scientific names. Don't really understand why this hobby uses them. All other pets use the common name lol

Pps mantis place has been wonderful too. I just don't know how to care for the pupae I ordered or how to maximize their life. I read some things on her website, but didn't fully understand.  

Welcome to the forum!  When I started in the hobby this year, I also read through tons of posts on here to answer all my questions and learn as much as possible. :)

For pupae, you can keep them in the fridge to prevent them from hatching and pull out as many as you need at a time.  They will hatch in 1-4 days.  They last up to 3 weeks in the fridge, after which their hatch rate goes way down.  It's usually recommended to buy new pupae every 3 weeks to ensure you always have a reliable supply.

And then you just have to manage how many you are going to need each week to decide how many to pull out of the fridge and how often.  One option is to put a few pupae directly into the enclosure every few days to get hatched flies a few days later each time.  The other option is to make a hatching container and hatch any number of them in there with food (I use ground up dry cereal) and water.  They seem to live a couple weeks this way.  Then you can put the container in the freezer for a couple of minutes until the flies go dormant, and use tweezers to grab a few out and put them in the enclosure.  I also up their food and water when I do this if needed.

Fly pupae is super easy and has become my favorite feeder option by far.  Good luck!

As @Ocelotbrensaid pupae have seemed the easiest technique for feeding. She took the words out of my mouth. Congrats on finding mantis out in the wild; that's how I got hooked... and a male and female!! Wow you got some luck. I love seeing them eat as well; it's just so freakin cool.

Be careful with this hobby... I've become addicted lol. Spent a couple hundred in a month and a few days... Geeez

As far as the orchid molting, just make sure their enclosure is humid and they have no problems. My orchid has never given me any problems. 

Welcome and good luck

Connor

Thanks for the tips and welcomes. I'm on a safe a mantis journey right now. They're about 6 male mantids at my work all climbing up to the bug zapper on the cafeteria patio. I found 3 dead so far. Rescued 2 to breed with my female and trying to relocate the rest 

Thanks for the tips and welcomes. I'm on a safe a mantis journey right now. They're about 6 male mantids at my work all climbing up to the bug zapper on the cafeteria patio. I found 3 dead so far. Rescued 2 to breed with my female and trying to relocate the rest 
Geez. You've hit the gold mine. 

Good luck saving them!

Geez. You've hit the gold mine. 

Good luck saving them!
So far the Body Count Is At 6. I've Kept 3 And Relocated 7 So Far. There Are So Many. Did What I Could. Almost Out Of work Though. 

(Dont Know Why It Keeps Capitalizing My Words) 

Welcome, any time u need help just let me know. Some times the care sheets are not as helpful as one hopes. But all the info they gave

you is good. Only thing, most pupae is good for two weeks in fridge or longer. I hatch 500 bb a day and then put them in fridge. Then

I take them out when needed and put the rest back, I find they live in fridge for about 9 days with no loss.

Well congrats on saving so many. Kind of a shame so many died...

So what I think I'm gonna try is let them hatch and keep food in there. I'm using yens special blend for fly food and gonna drop a few drops of water inside. One of the males I rescued is mating with my female already. The bb flies are starting to hatch I'm feeding all the males then going to release them. All in all we relocated about 20 males at work I brought home 3 to try and mate. 

I think I may try and buy some of those cup o flies from mantis place and see how long I can keep flies alive. I don't want to order flies every couple of weeks. I want it to stay cost effective after all the initial purchases. So far the flies have proven to be more easier to work with. Plus they don't have a chance of hurting the mantids 

That's a lot of relocated mantis. Good luck with the breeding. My pair is still connected after 18 hours together. The problem is that flies don't live long. So you are going to have to buy new flies every month(that's as long as you could ever go). And buying flies always gives me a excuse to get another mantis lol. Have fun with your new mantis!

Latest posts