Hello from Canada, EH!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PookaDotted

Reaction score
Hello everybody!

I have been lurking many mantid forums, learning and writing down and learning some more. I'm located in beautiful BC Canada and have found it basically impossible to find a business or breeder that sells ooths in my country. I have an import permit so I can import ooths legally from the states because of this.

More about me, I am a stay at home mom of a 1 year old and wife to my Hubby who is a conservation officer. I am studying to become an animal health technician. I want to eventually have more species of mantids and develop the hobby more in Canada. I would love for anybody who is in the hobby and in Canada to send me a friend invite. I know most people on here are from the states, but it would be awesome to have a national network in Canada. I am 23 this May, and I learned to drive stick this past month and im pretty good at it haha! (totally unrelated but im proud of myself)

As for my bug room, my hubby is going to be building a wall to section out part of my basement. It will have a lineleum floor and be in the same room as my goldfish tank. I figured that would help humidity levels. I already have 250 32oz deli cups that I installed with mesh lids for individual nymphs, twigs, and paper towel bottoms at the ready and when I get back from Thailand ill be ordering my fruit fly cultures, and larger terrariums for breeding adults and a few breeding terrariums. I don't want crickets getting loose in my house and chirping all night (hated that will my beardie) so ill have mealworm cultures I think.

Needless to say im extremely excited about this new hobby, and can't wait to get started on it.

Welcome, we have breeders here from Canada too. You will still need crickets or roaches for the mantis, mealworms are not a good all time food source. Hows the little guy liking bugs?

Thanks all!

My son loves animals of any kind but im not sure how he will react with bugs :) He is rough so i think touching and holding will be out of the question for awhile lol. I was thinking about dubia, but found out they're illegal here. There is an "under ground black market" for them, but its a risk. I was hoping to not have to do crickets but they ARE easier to gutoad. a dubia colony would be easier still...

Latest posts