Hello from Clearwater Florida

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

c81kennedy

Reaction score
Hi im new to the mantis world. I bought a ghost mantis ooth a few weeks ago I was gonna us them as feeders for my pygmy chameleons but changed my mind once I saw these guys hatch. Im wanting to keep some as pets iv got dartfrogs , day geckos, crestied geckos, and millipedes so why not add some more. So Iv read some basic caresheets but still have a few questions. How long till I feed the hatchlings , How long till the first molt , when should i seperated them? How many adults would fit in a 12x12x18 zoo med. Is there any local mantis keepers in my area.

Welcome. Odd choice of mantis species to use as feeders.

Hello and welcome to the forum. They will usually eat anywhere from 2-4 days after hatching. How soon they firtst molt will depend on how often you feed them (more feeding = quicker molts), but it can take 1-2 weeks. I have never had Ghost, but from what I understand they are communal. Not sure for how long though. They are not that big, so you should be able to keep quite a few in an enclosure that big.

Thanks mvalenz How big do adult Ghost get? My reptile room stays about 72 to 74 is that warm enough?

babypig008.jpg

babypig007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Welocome to IG, Here in Broward we use gekos and frogs as bait for catching snakeheads....not true...get the point? lol

I live is St Pete and I just got 4 Ghosts. I also have 5 Azureus in a 46g. I was somewhat unsure of getting the Ghosts until I got a chance to play with them today. They are incredibly entertaining and very cool. I think my wife might be getting fed up with my hobbies...

LOL my girlfriend is starting to get upset with excaped crickets lol. My ghost have molts to L3 Iv got 13 left from my ooth a few died and I gave a few to friends. I took a few pics today but its hard for focus on them when they do there silly little dance.

mantis003.jpg

mantis002.jpg

mantis001.jpg