Hello from Colorado w/ H. Venosa's

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malo Stapalo

Reaction score
Hello everyone! Wanted to introduce myself. I have 5 golden asian Hierodula Venosa shipping out from Panterrapets tomorrow with express shipping. I am hoping to find 3 beautiful yellow ones and then I will give away the other 2. Hopefully I will have the ability to be picky. Excited to start building their long term habitats, I will be using dried or artificial items to make cleaning easy and not raise humidity.  Splitting a tall tank into 3rds with mesh on a wall and ceiling with individual lids for each section and hard dividers between the sections. Will they get stressed out from seeing each other in their divided spaces?

Not sure how common these bright yellow with red eyes are, but its pretty impressive!

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome! They will see each other and might try to hunt each other. But honestly it gives them something to do. As long as it doesn't give them eye rub it should be fine. Thats what I was told not too long ago.

Welcome! They will see each other and might try to hunt each other. But honestly it gives them something to do. As long as it doesn't give them eye rub it should be fine. Thats what I was told not too long ago.
Good to know, maybe I will use the shared divided walls as the place where I put their vertical mesh. Should keep them from rubbing as my loose understanding is its due to clear glass and them not seeing a barrier? 

Thanks everyone, hope to have pictures soon. Received the notification they have an eta of wednesday. 

is its due to clear glass and them not seeing a barrier? 
It is partly due to that. Mine will bang on the glass seemingly trying to go through it to hunt the other mantid. Mesh should fix it though. They will stare at each other, but I think it will fix the eye rub problem.

It is partly due to that. Mine will bang on the glass seemingly trying to go through it to hunt the other mantid. Mesh should fix it though. They will stare at each other, but I think it will fix the eye rub problem.
Sounds good, I have some time to plan as they should still be 32oz cup size right away. 

Welcome @Malo Stapalo!

If your venosa are nymphs, none will be yellow. The insides of their raptorial arms and legs will take on tinges of yellow as molts progress.

Then, at final molt, The wings will come in yellow. Yellow coloration will set it.

There is no guarantee it will be AS yellow as pictured in your OP.

Pics of my first ever venosa (Noël) leading up to maturity, and after maturity.

20181212_124357.jpg

20181219_223005.jpg

20190111_000851.jpg

20190118_012045.jpg

20190118_031455~01.jpg

20190302_212657.jpg

Welcome @Malo Stapalo!

If your venosa are nymphs, none will be yellow. The insides of their raptorial arms and legs will take on tinges of yellow as molts progress.

Then, at final molt, The wings will come in yellow. Yellow coloration will set it.

There is no guarantee it will be AS yellow as pictured in your OP.

Pics of my first ever venosa (Noël) leading up to maturity, and after maturity.
Excited to watch them grow! I will have space to take all 5 to they begin to show their colors, although I am sure I will be sad to give 2 away. Thank you for the pictures. How long did she live after that yellow color set in?

That seems like a good amount of time though to spend with her. Unfortunately, they do have shorter lifespans than we would all hope!

I am hoping to find 2 beautiful males and a female to keep and try to create a next generation. Package was in Denver as of 6:30 this am. I am about 100 miles west of Denver so hoping to have it tomorrow. 

Been pretty busy with starting a new temp job since I was furloughed from my normal job so sorry if anyone worried the worst happened in shipping.

7 beautiful, healthy mantids arrived safe and sound! Packed very well, so big thanks to Sarah at panterra. One molted in shipment but has been just fine since then. 

I will be sure to post up some pictures of them, currently a total of 4 have molted, and waiting on the 3 others. 

Amazing species! I'll be getting mine this or next week from mantis kingdom. Id love to know how it's going for you since this is my first of the goldens.

Latest posts