Hello from Ithaca

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zoegp

Reaction score
Hello,

I am a 5th year PhD student in Entomology at Cornell. Sadly I don't study Mantids because i made some bad life choices in undergrad :p . I have 3 Giant Golden Hierodula mantids, and 3 Malaysian Dead leaf Mantids. I came here because all three of my Malaysian dead leafs are female, and I am looking to trade for a male. 

My greatest life accomplishment was creatively saving a mantis with a bad molt. One of my Malaysian Dead leafs had a bad molt from L1 to L2. its legs were all bent and its thorax was bent. It couldn't stand up at all, or even hang upside down. I hand fed it for about 2 weeks, and then glued its feet to the top of a cage with wood glue and hung it upside down. I continued to hand feed it until it molted, but it managed to molt into into a fully healthy and functional L3, and more recently it molted into an adult. I call her Strugglebus. 

Best,

Zoe Getman-Pickering

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum! What do you study in Entomology? 

- MantisGirl13

Welcome to the forum! What do you study in Entomology? 

- MantisGirl13
Thanks MantisGirl13! I study plant chemical defenses in tomato and potato plants. Our lab looks at how and when the plants produce poisons to defend them self from insects. I do get to play with tobacco hornworm caterpillars a lot, which is pretty great. Im so happy to find this forum with so many cool enthusiastic mantis lovers!

Best,

Zoe

? that is so cool! I want to be an entomologist someday, but I would prefer to study mantids. Insects and science are so interesting!

- MantisGirl13

Thats aweosme @Zoegp . I'm gald you were able to save your Dead Leaf. It's always a struggle then they have a bad molt.

Welcome :)

Yeah, it feels great when you can save a mantis life. I have saved 2x  (prevented mismolt) with one of my mantids because she was hanging to low to do her molt.

Since I have mantids, I have learned a lot about them and the insect world.

Last edited by a moderator: