Hello from Los Angeles, CA

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crewl1

Reaction score
Hello,

I am a mantis newbie interested in learning more about these fascinating creatures.

I have only observed and photographed the local ones I have found in my garden, but have not endeavoured to keep or raise any yet.

I collect ootheca that I find while out on photo walks in the outskirts of town and bring them to my garden to watch the little ones grow.

I travel a lot so would not be able to care for pets but the ones I have adopted in the garden have done well on their own and acted as models for me occasionally.

I'm amazed at how many different varieties and forms there are and look forward to learning about them from the experts in the forum.

Here are a few locals I have photographed.

Cheers!

Larry

Welcome to the forum :)

Those are some nice shoots. What kind of camera do you use?

I take most my pictures with my phone and a macro lens attachment.

Would love to get a good camera to take some more detailed shots

Thanks for the welcomes.

I use a Pentax K or Q camera with a 100mm macro lens.

The K series are DSLRs so work great for close ups of the bigger insects.

The Q series have a smaller sensor and with the same macro lens make tiny insects look really big.

Any brand will work I'm just familiar with Pentax.

Thanks again for the welcomes.

By the way what type of mantids are the ones I am finding, can someone ID from the pictures I posted?

I've been trying to research via the pictures on this forum but not really sure as it seems many here are more exotic.

They are turning up in Los Angeles county in east San Gabriel valley area.

I have photographed the green ones as well as some tan colored ones.

Thanks for any assistance or a link where I can research.

Larry

Greetings Larry and welcome to the forum
welcome6.gif

By the way what type of mantids are the ones I am finding, can someone ID from the pictures I posted?

I've been trying to research via the pictures on this forum but not really sure as it seems many here are more exotic.
If you haven't already done so make a new topic in the general mantid discussions area and ask there (your question got lost/overlooked in this topic). I have no guess as they are basically head shots, if possible use photos of the whole mantids in your new topic.

Latest posts