Hello From Markham, Ontario

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CuriousMind

Reaction score
Hi Mantis Community. My name is Ray from Markham, Ontario. I've always been facinated with Mantids and have now reached the ripe old age of 50 so am beginning to slow down. Thinking for taking up the hobby of Mantid keeping and came across this forum during my Google browsing. I currently keep a few orchids, mostly paphiopedilums and some ornamental freshwater shrimp. Looking to learn lots before deciding if I can handle this new hobby. Thank you for accepting me.

Hello Ray and welcome to the forum
welcome6.gif

Some interesting hobbies, and the freshwater shrimp is a new one to me. Years ago I use to keep various freshwater fish varieties and related, before I got into ACF's and ADCF's (African clawed frogs and dwarf, Xenopus and Hymenochirus). I even had luck breeding and raising the dwarf species which was and perhaps still is rather uncommon. I must admit though I do not miss having to prop up the floor for tanks, weekly water changes, and abundant husbandry tasks. ;)

If your shrimp is anything like my past experience then mantids will be a good change of pace for you. Below is my typical getting started response. Have fun with the mantid hobby. Finding a mantid species you like and plunging in after reading the care sheets is about the best way to get started.

Where to buy

To start with you can buy mantids from the classified section (see the feedback section about the sellers too). Of course there are many great sites to buy mantids and related goods from online such as BugsInCyberspace, MantisPlace, PanTerra Pets, and MantidKingdom are the most common and recommended for mantids themselves.

Beginner mantid species

All links below are to the species caresheets.

Ghosts (Phyllocrania paradoxa) are great and tame easily, and have a very exotic look but are a very hardy species - recommended for beginners too. Chinese mantis (Tenodera sinensis) are a great option as they are a naturalized species in many areas so can be captured in the wild - I can collect over a hundred locally in a few weeks here. The Chinese mantis also grow large at about 4", which means they also are hungry pigs. :)

One of my favorites has to be Carolina mantis (Stagmomantis carolina) as they are a native species here, and extra nymphs from a ooth can be released (again this is another species that can be found wild locally). They seem to have individual attitudes/traits, take to handling and various feeders well, etc. Likely though I have a soft spot for them as I got started in the hobby rescuing my first mantid from a winter freeze while at work. They do require a bit more care, but if you can mange humidity and feeding properly, I doubt you'll have problems with the species as it was my first.

Some great beginner mantid species though are Flower mantis (Creobroter sp.), Giant shield/hooded mantis (Rhombodera sp.), African mantis (Sphodromantis lineola), Budwing mantis (Parasphendale affinis or Parasphendale argrionina), Chinese mantis (Tenodera sinensis), Double shield mantids (Pnigomantis medioconstricta), Ghost mantis (Phyllocrania paradoxa), Giant Asian mantis (Hierodula membranacea), and Griffin mantis (Polyspilota griffinii). Although some are not necessary listed as typical beginner species, they are all hardy, and seem to do fine even with beginners.

Have fun searching and getting started. :D

Welcome to the forum! Any info you need is probably available, people here are super great and helpful as long as you’re willing to ask. You might even be able to buy your first mantis here! Welcome, again!

Welcome! What species of shrimp do you keep? I also love the aquarium hobby and have had red cherry shrimp and a blue morph of the species in the past. 

Latest posts