Hello from Minnesota

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JettyDoor

Reaction score
Howdy. I'm not new to mantises, we hatch them every year for the garden, but I am new to them as longer-term pets. Current critter count in the house is two cats and a handful of stick insects, and I'm hoping to branch out to orchid mantises this year. Was thinking about getting them in the Spring, since it's already mighty cold here in MN. Peter is an enabler, so now I'm giving myself a crash-course in setting up their food colonies and convincing myself I can get past my roach squick factor in the interest of not having stinky crickets in the house. I like the idea of using isos, but am not sure they're big enough for adult mantises. Suppose it depends on the size of the mantis. I'm terrible at writing introductions, so, uh, hi? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum!  For feeders, keep fly pupae in mind too.  I believe orchids prefer flying prey so flies would be a better staple than roaches for them anyway.

Hello and hi! I am new here, too, and also wanting to get out of the stinky cricket game. Also, they are escaping and now my "food" is stuck in a sticky trap downstairs. LOL

Hello and welcome to the forum. Orchids are quite the mantis! Arguably one of my favorites. But like @Ocelotbrensaid, they need flying food so I would recommend getting fly pupae for feeders.

Yeah, reading all the posts about that. This.. is going to take a longer conversation with Himself. "Honey, do you mind if I keep pupated maggots in the fridge?" XD I just got him used to Mason Bee cocoons, so.. maybe? Though it may be time for me to look at a different mantid species until I have Himself onboard with 'things that live in the fridge'. 

JettyDoor, I have Florida bark mantis that I've kept going for 1.5 years or so. At one time I had 25 species at one time and hundreds of enclosures. After the holidays I'd like to get another species or two. 

Latest posts