Hello from New Orleans, Louisiana!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Akki

Reaction score
I decided to join this forum because I have a few questions and would like some pointers, as well as have some information to read over :)

That and I think if I talk anymore about my mantids to my non-mantid loving friends, I'll be disowned.

I recently was given five (what I think are) Chinese mantis nymphs. I have them all in separate containers, very roomy for molting (one has already!) and until my order of wingless fruit flies arrive, I've been going out into the backyard and catching small aphids and gnats and releasing them into each cage until I see they've caught and are eating. (I try to do it twice a day, my schedule is a little hectic)

I'm concerned that I'm not feeding them enough - I've never had anything 'bug' like as a pet before, so I'm nervous and want to make sure I don't bring them harm!!

None are showing signs of abnormality (as far as bugs go..) and as I stated before, one has already molted and is noticeably bigger than the others! I guess thats a sign that I'm going in the right direction :)

I'll have a read around the site to see if my questions are solved - just wanted to say hello!

Welcome to the party, great to have you.

-Kevin
Thanks much :)

Wow and welcome, I applaud your endeavors to feed them! I think u r doing ok! give them misting to drink!
Yes ma'am! I've been trying to do that twice a day as well.. should there always be a few beads of water on the sides of the container for them? I've never seen them drink (except one when I let him/her out after being shipped over)

Welcome! This is a great place to learn about mantids. :) It is also a place that I can discuss my bugs without annoying anyone too much. :lol: There are not many people that I know that are interested in my hobby. Just the neighborhood children. :rolleyes:

welcome, you can set any type of fruit (older banana's work well) out side in a open container any get fruit flies on your own fairly quick. :)

welcome, you can set any type of fruit (older banana's work well) out side in a open container any get fruit flies on your own fairly quick. :)
Oh well, that makes sense doesn't it? I've never pondered how to *attract* bugs, just how to dispel them. But great idea!