Hello from Toronto!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aw, that's awesome! Congratulations on your new babies, LOL! If you dump some melanogasters in there with them and add some sticks(molting) they may just leave each other alone for a little while until they molt, gives them enough to crawl on and feed on without wanting to eat each other! I've had nymphs shipped to me three in one tiny container and they never attacked each other because there were flies in there to keep them busy instead of each other.
Great I'll pick some fruit flies up today. Damn they're just so cool! and I'll find a nice stick for em to crawl on. I was getting a little worried that I'd done something wrong but they hatched as soon as I turned on their light this morning and I couldn't be happier, I just hope I can keep them happy n healthy!

Great I'll pick some fruit flies up today. Damn they're just so cool! and I'll find a nice stick for em to crawl on. I was getting a little worried that I'd done something wrong but they hatched as soon as I turned on their light this morning and I couldn't be happier, I just hope I can keep them happy n healthy!
Oh I'm sure you'll be a great parent! Lol, just keep posting any questions you have on here and they will grow to be happy healthy mantids! Good luck!

Hi Guys!

Thought I would check in as I have a question. So it has been almost 2 weeks since my babies hatched and I'm a little worried about them at the moment. I know they are supposed to be malting soon but today they started going pretty crazy in their cages, both of them (decided to keep 2). They are both just sprinting around and keep falling off the roof onto the ground and I'm worried they are going to hurt themselves. I took their food out of the cage, they ate last 2 days ago so I put some fruit flies in there today but they weren't really interested in them and were more running around going crazy. Are they just really hungry, thirsty or trying to get a safe spot to malt away from bugs? I misted their enclosure to make sure there is enough humidity in there. Anyone got any ideas why both mantids would be zooming around almost like they're panicking?

Other than that it's been great recently but I thought they were supposed to malt after a week and I'm getting pretty anxious because I know it is a really delicate time for them and I just want them to be healthy!

Hi Guys!

Thought I would check in as I have a question. So it has been almost 2 weeks since my babies hatched and I'm a little worried about them at the moment. I know they are supposed to be malting soon but today they started going pretty crazy in their cages, both of them (decided to keep 2). They are both just sprinting around and keep falling off the roof onto the ground and I'm worried they are going to hurt themselves. I took their food out of the cage, they ate last 2 days ago so I put some fruit flies in there today but they weren't really interested in them and were more running around going crazy. Are they just really hungry, thirsty or trying to get a safe spot to malt away from bugs? I misted their enclosure to make sure there is enough humidity in there. Anyone got any ideas why both mantids would be zooming around almost like they're panicking?

Other than that it's been great recently but I thought they were supposed to malt after a week and I'm getting pretty anxious because I know it is a really delicate time for them and I just want them to be healthy!
I would give them some time but I think since they are about to molt they are trying to get away from each other I would separate them and see if that stops them from acting like little maniacs 

I would give them some time but I think since they are about to molt they are trying to get away from each other I would separate them and see if that stops them from acting like little maniacs 
Thanks for the relpy, yeah I'm thinking that will be best. I have them in two separate plastic cup nymph enclosures but they are right next to each other. How long can they go without food? I read somewhere 2 weeks is that true do I need to worry about that? And how long does it usually take for the first Chinese Mantis nymph molt do you have any idea?

The reason they arnt eating is a good indicater that they are about to molt so I would give them a few days if they molt great. I had mantids that would not expect food before and after molt but they did just fine the key is just be patient.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts