Hello from Virginia

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spotsy99

Reaction score
My name is Denise and I am so thankful for this forum.  I joined last month but have been reading so much and soaking up info like a sponge.  :D

My first mantis was a male Carolina I caught when I was eight. He had a bad molt which was my fault. This damaged his back walking leg so he got the name Crip. He spent his time on my mom's palm plant and I hand fed him and watered him with a spoon. He lived through the winter so flies and moths were scarce but I managed to get him fed. This was before the internet and Petsmart. 

I've always loved bugs and grew up playing with them and raising them. Even had a tarantula a few years ago. 

An Orchid is my wish but I also think the Ghosts look amazing, too. I've never owned an exotic so I decided to start with some Ghosts this spring. 

Looking forward to learning much more from this site!

Welcome neighbor! I am from Virginia too! :) It sounds like you were a great mantis mama, even at the age of 8! If only all kids who wanted a pet at that age were that responsible. If you are looking for some ghosts that wouldn't have to travel a long distance to get to you, check out my website, I have some available now! 

Hello Denise and welcome to the forum
wave2.gif

Glad to see you have been reading on the forum, lots of great helpful information to be sure. If you have any questions though just ask. :)

Sounds like you had a very early introduction to mantids, but I'm amazed you didn't try again until recently. Ah, I remember the days before the internet, but for good or bad it's here to stay. At least for finding pets, feeders, and help it is a great thing (at least if you don't get in trouble for spending too much). ;)

Hello Denise and welcome to the forum
wave2.gif

Glad to see you have been reading on the forum, lots of great helpful information to be sure. If you have any questions though just ask. :)

Sounds like you had a very early introduction to mantids, but I'm amazed you didn't try again until recently. Ah, I remember the days before the internet, but for good or bad it's here to stay. At least for finding pets, feeders, and help it is a great thing (at least if you don't get in trouble for spending too much). ;)
Thank you for the welcome guys! I will probably be a lurker at first. The "search" is an excellent tool

I've had more mantids in my life. I just didn't want to ramble too much.  :)

Another one I remember was a female Chinese. She was awesome. My dad found a katydid for her. We didn't know what she would do since it was as big as her, but she started chowing down on it without hesitation. She ate on it for two days! She later layed an ootheca that I put aside. Boy was that a mistake. It hatched in the middle of winter and I had what seemed like hundreds of babies all over the floor. It was a sight, me crawling on my hands and knees catching as many babies as I could find. I put them in a fish bowl hoping they would cannibalize each other, but they didn't and sadly they all died. Guess that was a teachable moment. 

Sarah, I'm in the Fredericksburg area. Are you close?

Thank you for the welcome guys! I will probably be a lurker at first. The "search" is an excellent tool

I've had more mantids in my life. I just didn't want to ramble too much.  :)

Another one I remember was a female Chinese. She was awesome. My dad found a katydid for her. We didn't know what she would do since it was as big as her, but she started chowing down on it without hesitation. She ate on it for two days! She later layed an ootheca that I put aside. Boy was that a mistake. It hatched in the middle of winter and I had what seemed like hundreds of babies all over the floor. It was a sight, me crawling on my hands and knees catching as many babies as I could find. I put them in a fish bowl hoping they would cannibalize each other, but they didn't and sadly they all died. Guess that was a teachable moment. 

Sarah, I'm in the Fredericksburg area. Are you close?
Ah well that is good to hear about your other mantids. :) The great thing about rambling online is if the reader doesn't care to read they can skip it, personally I perfer too much than too little. ;)

Yes the Chinese mantids (Tenodera sinensis) are hardy predators and have been filmed taking down humming birds even.
hungry.gif

Glad to hear someone else admitted to having a ooth hatch loose on them. I've had several now for various reasons (thinking it was a old already hatched ooth, to a few that hatched much sooner than expected). :D They are quite a chore to catch and one I hope to avoid again.

Likely the nymphs in the fish bowl died due to lack of food or humidity, indeed they will cannibalize even in the best care, but if left to fend for themselves will not survive.

Welcome neighbor! I am from Virginia too! :) It sounds like you were a great mantis mama, even at the age of 8! If only all kids who wanted a pet at that age were that responsible. If you are looking for some ghosts that wouldn't have to travel a long distance to get to you, check out my website, I have some available now! 
Sorry, I forgot to quote you from above.

I'm in the Fredericksburg area. Are you close? 

Latest posts