Hello from Wisconsin

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T.C.

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm from southwestern Wisconsin. I have been keeping insects since I was able to walk and had a fascination in them even before that.  :D  I've made my appearance on many forums and am fairly active on some. Right now, my insect collection isn't very large since Im so busy. Currently I'm just messing with ants, beetles, aquatic insects, earwigs, (yes, earwigs!) and a few other species. I am looking to add mantids to the collection again. Figured I'd join here as I am interested in mantids more than most other insects. Not the best, but there cool!

Heyas and welcome. Had a wife for 20 yrs was from Cashton, Wi.  Love the area except in winter.

For me the attraction with mantis is the alien look when they turn the neck and look at you. Only insect that can turn its head like that. Gets me going every time.

Heyas and welcome. Had a wife for 20 yrs was from Cashton, Wi.  Love the area except in winter.

For me the attraction with mantis is the alien look when they turn the neck and look at you. Only insect that can turn its head like that. Gets me going every time.
That's about a 30 minute drive from where I live actually. What coincidence! Thanks for the welcoming.

Yeah, just make sure you provide lots of food. If they don't have food for even a couple of days in a communal setup then you'll have at least one rogue mantis.

Yeah, just make sure you provide lots of food. If they don't have food for even a couple of days in a communal setup then you'll have at least one rogue mantis.
My knowledge on mantids isn't very strong. I appreciate the tips. :)

Ghosts are great. As to communal keeping, I would set aside a male or 2 for separate raising soon as you identify sex. That way you will be sure of having a male to breed with.

Ghosts are great. As to communal keeping, I would set aside a male or 2 for separate raising soon as you identify sex. That way you will be sure of having a male to breed with.
Are the males more commonly killed by the females? I think I read that somewhere?

When I first joined this forum, I read all I could about ghosts. I wanted orchids and ghosts. Wanted to get to communal setup with the ghosts. I never got that far with the ghosts. Yes I remember reading that also. Why I recommended keeping one or two males separate, just in case.

Must say I really did enjoy reading this forum 10-14 hrs a day for about 4 months. OCD can be fun sometimes. Sure glad I am retired.

Latest posts