Hello, gentlemen(ladies)

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calvindoyl

Reaction score
Hello from Indiana!

So as a kid, I wanted to be an entomologist. I still have a RIDICULOUS amount of (now) useless knowledge about insects, and am in school for CompSci

My story:

Was pulling out of a gas station and my girlfriend asked me to stop in the parking lot to do her makeup.

Irritated, I look at my windshield wipers and see, of all things, a weird mantis chilling there.

I'd seen many mantids (chinese mostly) in my life, all of which I thought were awesome, but this one was new.. shorter and mottled, and I had to know what it was.

After a minute of thought, I developed a radically different new technique for catching mantids, involving a paper McDonald's bag and lightning-fast reflexes. Employing this technique, I captured this mantis, and now have it stored in a 10 gallon at my place.

This took some convincing... I had to show my girlfriend videos of an orchid mantis, devils flower mantis, and some other very colorful purplish-pinkish things before she allowed it.... so now I'm here, looking for other species to add to my collection and satisfy my girlfriend's curiousity...

Hello :)

Welcome! I'm in the same boat as you. I also wanted to be an entomologist when I was younger but I got a CS degree instead.

Welcome friend, but as far as your want ad, Orchids are really not for beginners as 99% of newbies will shortly be left with a mantis that they can only pin...

Budwings, creo's, basically cheaper mantis are far better for a rookie to start with, not that many people listen when told this but hey just try'n to help.

Welcome. Why not pursue the degree in entomology?

Latest posts