Hello, my name is...

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyleB

Reaction score
Hi,

My name is Kyle. I am a 35 year old Montessori elementary teacher from Seattle, Washington. 

I have always been fascinated by praying mantids. I had never seen one in the wild until a training session in Indiana where one was parked on a bush outside my dorm. It just sat there and seemed to be staring at me. 

Anyway, I never thought of actually owning one until I saw a recent YouTube post where someone filmed their mantis annihilating a cicada; legs, wings and all. It was gruesome and awesome. 

I then thought my students would love this in the classroom. I've done butterflies, why not predatory insects?

So here I am trying to learn as much as I can before actually ordering one. I plan to get a Chinese mantis. I've read Thomas Green's Praying Mantis Ultimate Care Guide and plan to read Keeping The Praying Mantis.

I don't like keeping caged animals, but the mantis has a short lifespan, they don't need a lot of space and they are insects, so I feel OK with trying, but I don't want to practice getting it right by killing my first mantis. I want everything ready to go.

Glad to have a forum to learn from.

Welcome.

Think your students will love to see praying mantids and learn from them. Here you can find a lot of information of this facinating insects🙂

A good beginner species are hierodula menbranaceas ot ghosts.

welcome! I love Chinese mantids! They are my favorite sps because of how the love to be handled and are good with kids.

Latest posts