Hello!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vee

Reaction score
Hello! My name is Vee, and I was asked to introduce myself and my mantis, so here we are!

I'm a first time mantis owner, starting with a young (assumed) female African Mantis. Originally I had intended to give her an alienistic name to match her rather alien looking appearance, but by my dad's suggestion we've given her the simple and easy to remember name of Mandy. :)

With her care at her age, I am attempting to stimulate a more wild-like feeding pattern with her. Most days she's given one locust a day and once every few days there'll be three. Every chance a fly enters our flat and gets caught we'll offer her a treat from it.

All the while I observe the size of her abdomen to insure she's not being overfed. If there's something wrong with my feeding patterns of her I'd love to be criticized. I'm always open to learn more to insure her good health and wellbeing!

On average she's held once a day with upmost care and respect. I've been catching and handling bugs since I was very young, so I know how to handle her with the respect she deserves.

I find Mantis' to be a very fascinating insect... They were my second choice of bug to care for (first being a Tarantula, but dad didn't appreciate that and my ex has a phobia of spiders). I have no regrets in my choice of a mantis. They're very beautiful and sinister looking beings. And I often find myself amazed about her speed in hunting.

mantid2.png

I like to believe even bugs have personality, so far Mandy has shown me a rather average personality. She's extremely alert to her surroundings and appears inquisitive to anything that moves. She's more relaxed in the mornings and often active in the evenings. She's usually calm when being handled, just let her relax on the back of my hand and watching the surroundings.

If there's anything about my care style that should be encouraged or discouraged, feel free to criticize me. :) Just please don't approach me angrily as I'm a rather insecure and sensitive person. I will read and learn here.

Welcome. Based on her abdomen it would be ok to feed her a bit more.

Thank you, and hello!

@Rick: Hello and thank you!

Right-o! I'll see to that, thank you! ^^

@Yuma: Hi again! I've read from a basic care book I've brought that the mantis is a very ravenous eater and would eat whenever they can whether or not they're hungry. Is this a false fact?

Welcome. :) You have a good looking mantis. :wub:

So far, all of my mantids have dropped the remains of their prey when they were full.

If your mantis looks very fat, take care when you handle it. If a fat mantis falls, their abdomen can burst. It has happened to a couple of forum members. :(

I like to handle mine over a soft surface like my bed, so if they jump or fall, they will land on a cushioned surface.

Thank you, and hello!

@Rick: Hello and thank you!

Right-o! I'll see to that, thank you! ^^

t?@Yuma: Hi again! I've read from a basic care book I've brought that the mantis is a very ravenous eater and would eat whenever they can whether or not they're hungry. Is this a false fact?
It beats me how the author knows that a mantis is not hungry if it is still eating! The fact is that a mantis will refuse food when it has had enough. Adult males have smaller appetites than adult females. Some mantids will eat part of a prey insect and leave the rest. So yes, I'd say "false fact"! It is also not true that a mantis can eat until it bursts, but we still hear that one now and then.