Hello

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mystymantis

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I absolutely love praying mantises, I think they are the most amazing insect, well there are many amazing ones but I think mantises are one of the best.  I have been keeping and raising them ever since I was young, and still am keeping and raising them. I enjoy raising the local mantises I find near my house, namely the Carolina mantis, which is one of my favorites, and the Chinese mantis. I have several Carolina mantises right now, many of which I bred myself. I actually have been looking for a forum or place to talk about mantises. Well I stopped looking for a while, but I am so excited I have found one!  I have recently ventured into getting some more exotic mantises, namely Ghost mantises, they are so cute and amazing! and some Malaysian dead leaf mantises.  Can't wait for the little guys to grow up!

welcome! You sound like you will fit right in here! I raise and breed exotic praying mantises myself, but have always loved the Carolina mantises too, as they are the reason I love these insects so much!

Hello and welcome to the forum
welcome.gif

I've kept both the species your interested in Ghosts (Phyllocrania paradoxa) and the Malaysian dead leaf (Deroplatys lobata). I will say if you can find a Malaysian dead leaf for sale, get that one - they are more active, grow larger, and love to be held and paid attention to (at least my two did). The Ghosts are great but not quite at the same level as the other. ;)

The Malaysian dead leaf does require someone with mantid experience, but it sounds like you have that covered and should have no problems. :)

Thank so much!  I am sure I will enjoy it here.

I have 2 ghost mantises, I just found out both are males, and both seem to be very aggressive in their eating. I have 3 Malaysian dead leaf's and they seem very happy and active as well. Can't wait for them to get bigger, as they are little tykes right now.

Thank so much!  I am sure I will enjoy it here.

I have 2 ghost mantises, I just found out both are males, and both seem to be very aggressive in their eating. I have 3 Malaysian dead leaf's and they seem very happy and active as well. Can't wait for them to get bigger, as they are little tykes right now.
Ah okay I missed the part that you already had them, and wasn't simply window shopping, sorry about that. :D

For me the male Ghosts seem to be more friendlier anyway, so you might have lucked out there. My last Ghost was a female and she wouldn't hand tamed very well - she was always though waiting for me to come see her. She was also one of my longest lived mantises, she lived about 15 months, and died about a month ago.

The dead leaf mantises start to get really interesting about halfway through their molts, about L4. They really start getting more defined in their shapes and become really curious.

Have fun with your pets. :)

Welcome and cheers from Virginia!  I love all mantids but the big, hardy ones are my fave!  Have fun, you've found the right place!

Latest posts