Hello..

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've been a silent member of this forum for a while now but decided to come out of hiding to share some info, help and what I'm working with. Some of guys probably recognise me from Facebook or Instagram or whatever (Known as Toxo HP (really want to change my username but can't seem to figure it out)) but my name is Harry, I am from the United Kingdom and I have been breeeding and keeping mantids for just over 10 years. My main passion is Toxoderidae and having been working my hardest on them, and I am lucky enough to say that I own 6 species from the family and all have been succesfull in captivity. I will be attempting breeding with 2 species next month and hope to document it here. I, of course, have also had my fair share of other species and been doing this for some time, so I am here to help anyone new. My list of species currently in my collection in my 'About Me' section, and I also have other inverts and species in the past, so feel free to ask about them. 

Cheers guys

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome!

I've been interested in them for quite a while as well, how did you happen to even acquire them? I haven't read about anyone successfully keeping Toxoderidae alive for longer than a few months, let alone breeding, with only Cheddikulama straminea as an exception. It would be amazing if you could give use some details and pictures about their care!

Greetings,

Velve

Welcome to the forum!  I'm sure your knowledge and experience will be greatly appreciated here.

Welcome!

I've been interested in them for quite a while as well, how did you happen to even acquire them? I haven't read about anyone successfully keeping Toxoderidae alive for longer than a few months, let alone breeding, with only Cheddikulama straminea as an exception. It would be amazing if you could give use some details and pictures about their care!

Greetings,

Velve
There are many myths about this family. The people who try to keep them alive are usually the Chinese or the people who find them, who, without making sweeping generalisations, aren’t the best at mantis keeping. They are using collected in plastic bags and treated like for the most part. I first started with Toxodera back in 2016 when I received a female T. beieri presub adult which a guy had found. He had no idea on the value or how to keep it. I purchased it, had it shipped and it started from there. I wish I could tell you how I got them, but there’s jealous crappy people out there, so I have to stay relatively out of the public eye if I can.

The whole ‘altitude’ myth I managed to debunk, I’m sure many other people with them have debunked it too. Adults never do well when taken from jungle, this is just due to stress and temperature; nothing to do with altitude. They also prefer it a lot cooler than most species. It gets chilly in the highlands where they are from. Diet is also picky.

There’s lot of others thing but yeah, I’ll be typing all day. I am currently preparing to write a book on them with some PhD friends once I’ve managed to breed them if I ever do. 

P.S. Cheers for all the greetings!

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum! It sounds like you raise some pretty interesting species. Can you post some pictures of your mantids? I can speak for all of us in this forum when I say that we all love looking at pictures of other people's mantids! 

- MantisGirl13

Welcome to the forum! It sounds like you raise some pretty interesting species. Can you post some pictures of your mantids? I can speak for all of us in this forum when I say that we all love looking at pictures of other people's mantids! 

- MantisGirl13
Yeah definitely, although I’d rather not post my crappy phone pics. I’m gonna buy a macro lens for my big camera to really show them off. So short answer, soon!

Yeah definitely, although I’d rather not post my crappy phone pics. I’m gonna buy a macro lens for my big camera to really show them off. So short answer, soon!
:)  Cool! I have a pretty bad camera on my Kindle, so don't worry about photo quality! I can't wait to see your pictures!

- MantisGirl13

There are many myths about this family. The people who try to keep them alive are usually the Chinese or the people who fine them, who, without making sweeping generalisations, aren’t the best at mantis keeping. They are using collected in plastic bags and treated like for the most part. I first started with Toxodera back in 2016 when I received a female T. beieri presub adult which a guy had found. He had no idea on the value or how to keep it. I purchased it, had it shipped and it started from there. I wish I could tell you how I got them, but there’s jealous crappy people out there, so I have to stay relatively out of the public eye if I can.

The whole ‘altitude’ myth I managed to debunk, I’m sure many other people with them have debunked it too. Adults never do well when taken from jungle, this is just due to stress and temperature; nothing to do with altitude. They also prefer it a lot cooler than most species. It gets chilly in the highlands where they are from. Didn’t is also picky.

There’s lot of others thing but yeah, I’ll be typing all day. I am currently preparing to write a book on them with some PhD friends once I’ve managed to breed them if I ever do.
Thanks for the insight and good luck on your projects! It would be a dream come true if Toxodera species were to get established in the hobby at some point. I'm looking forward to hear and see more about your experiences!

Greetings!