Hello

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jwillmon

Reaction score
Hi All, my name is John. I recently picked up my first mantis, an Iris oratoria, in an auction at the local aquarium club. I have been in that hobby around 26-27 years total. Mantis have always been interesting but I had never considered keeping them as pets. Recently I’ve decided to shift away from aquariums to terrariums/vivariums due to a number of back problems.

My mantis is currently L3 & living in a 32oz container. I picked up one of the smaller exo terras, 12 x12x18in, to set up for when it’s a bit larger. Since doing so I’ve realized it’s probably a bit on the large side. It will be planted using arid/semiarid plants, not heavily though. I’ll be making the space a bit smaller with a great stuff foam background on one, maybe two of the interior walls. As well as sloping up the substrate in the back. If needed, I’ll pick up a cheap container as an intermediate or to feed in.

Welcome! When you finish your enclosures we'd love to see them. 🙂
Thanks! I forgot to add a couple pics. I’m also documenting this on instagram at johnsplantedaquariums

Attachments

• IMG_6803.jpeg
    IMG_6803.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6814.jpeg
    IMG_6814.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6957.png
    IMG_6957.png
    5.2 MB · Views: 0
That last photo is awesome! Such a nice piece of wood to pose on. I love seeing them just chill outside of their enclosures. I've only kept a few of this species, but they were fun to work with and easy to breed.

Hi All, my name is John. I recently picked up my first mantis, an Iris oratoria, in an auction at the local aquarium club. I have been in that hobby around 26-27 years total. Mantis have always been interesting but I had never considered keeping them as pets. Recently I’ve decided to shift away from aquariums to terrariums/vivariums due to a number of back problems.

My mantis is currently L3 & living in a 32oz container. I picked up one of the smaller exo terras, 12 x12x18in, to set up for when it’s a bit larger. Since doing so I’ve realized it’s probably a bit on the large side. It will be planted using arid/semiarid plants, not heavily though. I’ll be making the space a bit smaller with a great stuff foam background on one, maybe two of the interior walls. As well as sloping up the substrate in the back. If needed, I’ll pick up a cheap container as an intermediate or to feed in.
Welcome to the forum John! I found a 4.7”x4.7”x8” container on Amazon.ca, I’m sure if you’re in the USA you’ll be able to find a similar one on Amazon. It was the perfect enclosure while my Mantis was small, I now only use it for feeding him.

Welcome to the forum John! I found a 4.7”x4.7”x8” container on Amazon.ca, I’m sure if you’re in the USA you’ll be able to find a similar one on Amazon. It was the perfect enclosure while my Mantis was small, I now only use it for feeding him.
I picked up a Zilla Micro Habitats - small arboreal, which is 4”x4”x8” for my mantis until it’s larger. The vent holes & door gaps allow the melanogaster flies to escape though. Fortunately, there are more than I’ll ever use in the 32oz culture. I’ll be switching to larger feeders before long anyway. I’ll tape on the pieces of super fine mesh over the vents for now. I bought a roll of it use to line the lid of the exo terra to keep the mantis off the metal mesh.

My Iris oratoria molted to L4 the night before last. Would anyone be able to correctly sex it from these pictures? I was told this is when I’d be able to tell. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_7630.jpeg
    IMG_7630.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7632.jpeg
    IMG_7632.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7620.jpeg
    IMG_7620.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
My Iris oratoria molted to L4 the night before last. Would anyone be able to correctly sex it from these pictures? I was told this is when I’d be able to tell. Thanks in advance!
Congratulations on the molt! Would you be able to post a photo of the underside of the mantis? Typically males have more segments on their abdomen (8) than females (6), it’s easier tell from the underside of their abdomen.

Congratulations on the molt! Would you be able to post a photo of the underside of the mantis? Typically males have more segments on their abdomen (8) than females (6), it’s easier tell from the underside of their abdomen.
These are the best photos of the underside I’ve taken so far, as well as one from directly above. I had read it was abdomen segment count, & usually the extra 2 were small just before the anus. I was leaning towards male but this same question on FB was answered with female confusing me further.

Attachments

• IMG_7820.jpeg
    IMG_7820.jpeg
    940.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7804.jpeg
    IMG_7804.jpeg
    723.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7709.jpeg
    IMG_7709.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts