helo

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kinsey Green

Reaction score
Hi there! been wanting to join this forum for a while, I'm still somewhat new to this hobby and figured this would be the best place to hang if I wanted to learn more on mantid keeping!

I had started with an orchid at the end of last year, but sadly she passed on from a bad molt(she fell and became deformed).. super devastating since she was my first mantis and I spent months before hand learning about caring for this species..💔 But I will not give up, when the chance arises again in the future, I will adopt another and be more cautious!..

But now I currently own two spiny flowers (MaleL6? and Female(L7? it is hard to tell), when they were smaller(L3) I fed them Hydei fruit flies and when they got bigger I have been feeding them a mix of moths, house flies and sometimes a fat mealworm, I got them back in early February and now they are at the cusp of adulthood and will be getting their lovely swirly wings on their next molt, they have been inactive and hanging upside down these past few days, the wing buds are pretty prominent now so the final transformation will happen very soon! exciting!

Other than mantids I own 3 death feigning beetles and 3 old hens, there will definitely be more inverts in the future as I am hooked on mantids ahah

Aside from this hobby, for a living I sculpt and cast figures of various things ranging from original designs to replicas from videogames! I don't know if links are allowed on this forum but I have my etsy shop linked on my profile here!

I've added some photos of my bugs and their set up, Looking forward to learning more and making some friends here, I'll try not to be too shy!

20190319_222550.jpg

ma1.jpg

DxyXkrjWsAEljG6.jpg

Welcome to the forum! Glad to have you join us. Your spinys are beautiful!

- MantisGirl13

Nice to have you.  Looking forward to seeing your collection grow.

Ahh thank you everyone for the warm welcome and compliments!! apologies for the pause in response here as life events had kept me very busy!

I bring great news though, my spiny flowers have reached imago and have successfully bred on 4/20/19!

and last weekend I had picked up an Galinthias amoena ooth which hatched on 4/17/19, I currently have 4 very healthy and active nymphs! I believe I have 1 female and 3 males, so it's been a very eventful week!

D4YmNXBWsAIO183.jpg

D4deMaIW0AQFtzB.jpg

D4mPCwwWsAACSjH.jpg

Congrats on the mating! It is impossible to sex L1 nymphs so before saying you have 3 males and a female you should wait until at least L4-L5 to try to tell accurately.

- MantisGirl13

Congrats on the mating! It is impossible to sex L1 nymphs so before saying you have 3 males and a female you should wait until at least L4-L5 to try to tell accurately.

- MantisGirl13
thank you! and ahh i see i see, i had assumed since one was much larger than the others that it was female ahah
what are the differences i should look out for to determine their gender when they reach L4-L5? i can't really find too much info on galinthias amoena x:

I'm not that experienced with that species, but I hatched two ooths myself a few months ago. I had 11 nymphs, now I'm down to 2 because the rest refused to molt to L3. Generally, look for six segments on the bottom of a female's abdomen with the final segment fairly wide. Males will have 8 segments on the bottom of the abdomen with two small final segments.

- MantisGirl13

Latest posts