HELP! Can't meet food demand for Sinensis nymphs!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Precious

Reaction score
I am back in the groove after not keeping mantids for several years.  Thought it would be good to start with some hierodula nymphs (doing fine on crix and houseflies) and some Chinese oothecae.  Well, I have 2 melanogaster cultures in preparation for the sinensis hatch but they've failed to produce!  My nymphs started hatching 3-4 days ago and some are still hatching as I write this.  They are in a small bug tent and I mist them frequently but fear I may have to release them for lack of food.  I have 3 ff cultures arriving Wednesday but the death toll is rising.  They spar, but don't cannabalise - I think they're too young for that?  My main question is:  Will they last?  Or must I release them?

I am back in the groove after not keeping mantids for several years.  Thought it would be good to start with some hierodula nymphs (doing fine on crix and houseflies) and some Chinese oothecae.  Well, I have 2 melanogaster cultures in preparation for the sinensis hatch but they've failed to produce!  My nymphs started hatching 3-4 days ago and some are still hatching as I write this.  They are in a small bug tent and I mist them frequently but fear I may have to release them for lack of food.  I have 3 ff cultures arriving Wednesday but the death toll is rising.  They spar, but don't cannabalise - I think they're too young for that?  My main question is:  Will they last?  Or must I release them?
I find that some Petcos and Petsmarts carry fruit fly cultures, even though they are not the best quality. You could check your local pet stores and have them immediately. That will get you through until the others arrive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Omgosh Sarah, never even thought of that!  Will start looking locally today, thanks so much!

Make sure the cultures you get from petco, etc are producing. 

I was in the same situation, emergency ff colony needed, and I bought a culture from petco that had been made earlier that day. (Judging from the date) 

so I paid 10$ for 50 flies instead of a constantly hatching culture... 

Two wo weeks later when that culture started producing, it was good. It's by the fruit fly company. 

Seems a little prone to starting and stopping overall produces well

I've been able to find good enough cultures from Petco and PetSmart to last me until an order of fruit flies arrived and started producing. They are overpriced, but it was worth it to keep everyone well fed while I waited for a shipment. Hopefully you can find what you're looking for! :)  

Check my site for springtail cultures and fruit flies too, the springtails are great for tiny nymphs. Sorry don't mean to blow my own horn, but

it seems I see these questions a lot on here for newbies.

Do you have any hydei fruit flies already in culture? This species of mantis can skip mels and start out with hydei. If you don't have any I would also suggest ordering them now if you are planning to make your own cultures as the nymphs will outgrow the mels quickly.

Check my site for springtail cultures and fruit flies too, the springtails are great for tiny nymphs. Sorry don't mean to blow my own horn, but

it seems I see these questions a lot on here for newbies.
Springtails seem small for a species of mantis that can start out on hydei flies at L1.

I've got a couple t. Sinensis L6 and I was able to feed them mels until L3. I just started s. Carolinas and they're currently L2 and happily eat hydei. 

Every L1 I've had so far is frightened of hydei until their first molt. 

I must get very bold nymphs xD, even l1 Brunneria borealis took hydei xD. I start every species I have ever kept on hydei, never any issues taking them.

Most of them will die either way or feed upon one another. I suspect you will be fine. 

Update:  Petco had one, very sad culture - 6 dead/1 live! melanogastor.  Didn't buy it.  Found a local reptile shop and bought three large cultures which got me through until cultures came in from Mantis Place.  Now I'm awash in flies!!  Rebooted my own cultures and have thousands daily.  Nymphs are great!  First molts just now happening - we made it! 

My L1 sinensis will take a hydei, not all but some brave ones!  I don't find that the nymphs will feed on each other until later instars.  They spar, but shy away.  With plenty of food, I don't expect cannibalism until we have a couple of molts.  

My hierodula never tolerated each other!  They take huge prey:  tiny clip of an early install, newly molted nymph finishing a crik attached.

Thanks everyone!

View attachment IMG_2877.mov

Last edited by a moderator:
Indeed PetCo can be hit and miss, seems to depend on how popular the cultures are in your area on what you can expect. Nice to see you found a great backup at a reptile shop, and your order from Rebecca got you more than you need. Glad you made it and your nymphs are doing fine. :D

Nothing worse than being out of fruit flies and not being able to get any for awhile. Hopefully you will keep some going that way you always have them. I try to myself, but in time get bored with it, and then the cycle repeats - more times than I care to admit. ;)

Latest posts