Help: Female Ghost Mantises dying after Mating?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reversedtime

Reaction score
Hi! I would really appreciate it if someone could help me identify what went wrong here. 

I had two female Ghost mantises that had moulted to adulthood about a month ago. I had them since they were L3

I took the first female Mantis and tried to mate it with my male. I gave both of them a cricket each. After mating I put her in another enclosure and she laid an ooth, but died two days later. I found it strange but didn't think too deeply about it

A week later I tired to mate the second female Mantis with the same male. I gave her a cricket, and caught them mating afterwards. It has been one day and this morning I decided to transfer the female out. When I checked in the evening she was dead. No ooth was laid. 

What happened? This is my first time attempting to mate mantises, did the ooth get stuck in the bodies or something? Is that even possible? The Male mantis is still alive

Thank you so much for reading. Any help is appreciated 

Last edited by a moderator:
That is bizarre; I'm not sure what could be the cause other than perhaps bad feeders.  I'm sorry to hear about the losses.

Yeah I do regularly feed crickets since they were young. But I guess I do buy the young crickets and the adult crickets from a different source (and fed them the adult crickets). I guess its likely the bad feeders. Thanks for all your help

Latest posts