Help, Fish with Mantis

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've seen some crazy videos of mantises catching goldfish, but the fish was in a small little petri dish like thing with barely an inch of water. But a full blown mini pond in your tank is just asking for trouble.

it would have looked cool having the mini pond and watching him go fishing, but would hate to see him drown. so far he has eaten 5 flies tonight, must have been hungry. Found him at work today, always wanted to keep one but never have, hope i can find a female and get an egg sac to put in the garden to increase their population around my house.

How do they enforce this law?
Local councils, animal health officers and the police have the power to enforce the Animal Welfare Act. If you are cruel to an animal or don’t provide for its welfare needs, you may be banned from owning animals. Or, you could be fined up to £20,000 and/or sent to prison for up to six months
I've just copied the above from directgov about the animal welfare act of 2006.

I doubt the mantis would drown. I've found many mantids living in plants over water. But doubtful it would hunt fish since fish are not part of the normal diet. Please don't turn this into an argument about feeding fish to mantids. These threads always seem to go that way.

Some mantids are quite clumsy and the Pseudoharpax virescens I had were not and I have an adult female Chinese Mantis that falls a lot.

A water mantis? I never knew they even existed! Well, the fish pond in the enclosure is a cool idea but you should put all the stuff that the mantis climbs on the other side of the cage, because if he falls he might drown in the water.

Latest posts