Help im over run!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

c81kennedy

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what these roaches are? I have 3 types that have moved into my planted tanks and its driving me nuts. Here are some pics of 2 types I have caught the third type is a palmetto bug. I live in Florida. How would one get rid of these without using poison?

roach001_zps928378a4.jpg

roach002_zps021011d4.jpg

roach004_zpsfb0d0cd1.jpg

Open the gates !! Unleash the frogs ! :gun_bandana: The red & yellow roach is quite beautiful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Third picture appears to be a Pycnoscelus surinamensis (Surinam Roach). They are parthenogenetic. All females. No males needed to reproduce.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I thought the smooth ones are surinam. They seem to be the least amount of trouble as they never leave the dirt. but the other 2 types come out to eat the fruitflies and the repashy calcium plus.

The first 2 pics are of Periplaneta australasia and the third pic is Pycnoscelus surinamensis. Both can be pests of plants.

I have no idea how you can get rid of them without pesticides. Perhaps a thorough cleanout? Look for oothecae of the P. australasia and good luck with the live bearing and parthenogenic P. surinamensis, the first instar nymphs are tiny.

I agree that the Australian roaches are beautiful but they have been known to be a greenhouse pest.

Some good news just had some ghost mantis lockup ones that I raised from a ooth I got from mantidforum. Im excited because the male got away without being eaten and Iv got another female I wanna try to mate him to. This will be my first mantis pairings.