help..its the 2nd bag of casters iv watsed in 2 weeks.

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macro junkie

Dead Leaf Mantis
Reaction score
i need your help..im buying maggots,,im then leaving them out till there casters,,,i then put them in my fridge which is 3c.i go in there today to get a few casters out and the hole box is hatched?its the 2nd bag iv wasted in 2 weeks.now i have about 600 flys i have to bin..its annoying me..could the reason be because i didnt put them in the fridge early enough..mayby when they turned to caster i didnt put them in the fridge that day..?is 3c cold enough to stop them hatch?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm.

In theory they should not be hatching if all the information you have given is correct.

They should last for WEEKS at that temperature.

Hmmm.In theory they should not be hatching if all the information you have given is correct.

They should last for WEEKS at that temperature.
i dont get it either?..if i remember rightly i left them to go to casters,mayby i left them bit longer than i should of but i know for a fact that when i put them in fridge there where all casters..i dont get it..only guess is the fridge has been open and closed at got warmer than it should..god knows..

What temps do u recomend i keep my next tub of casters at?is 3c ok?or to cold?

You should keep them in the fridge as maggots and take them out to turn into casters. Leave the casters out until they hatch. I am pretty sure I have mentioned that before.

You should keep them in the fridge as maggots and take them out to turn into casters. Leave the casters out until they hatch. I am pretty sure I have mentioned that before.
ok thanks rick.il do that today.

It depends on how you want to do it really. The way that Rick suggests will give a fairly constant time from when they are taken out of the fridge to when they hatch. However, I like to store them as castors because after about 3 weeks they hatch within 2-3 days of removing them from the fridge.

It works only with Lucilia properly. Calliphora pupae also hatch in the fridge after a certain time. You cannot keep them "forever" in the fridge. This works with Lucilia maggots only. I usually keep the maggots in the fridge and remove them in order to pupate at room temperature. However, after 2 or three weeks all my Calliphora in the fridge have pupated. They hatch then after just 2-3 days at room temperature. For longer storage better use Lucilia.

Lucilia: pinky flies

Calliphora: blue bottle flies

Last edited by a moderator:
I keep blue bottle maggots at near 0C. They last for about a month. ANy longer than a month, the maggots start to turn darker in color and die, instead of turning into pupa.

Latest posts